Sign in to follow this  
Mapper

Aerocache Maps

Yes even in free flight but you have to be close. Showing them on the map would be against the idea to find them first of all.
I agree, it does go against the idea of finding them, but I personally do not really enjoy the hunt. What I enjoy about the aerocaches is that they are all located somewhere special and they are where the cool stuff is. Now I am not lazy. I will fly across all the islands to see something neat and learn. My fun is flying to something cool and learning about it. I'm not a fan of flying in a grid pattern. I would use a complete map as I would visit each unique location several times.As it is right now, I find an aerocache and then a week later I forget where it was.So I guess I don't really mind the hunt for the aerocache, I would just like it marked on a map once I find it so that I may return. And this site is a cool way to do that.

So I guess I don't really mind the hunt for the aerocache, I would just like it marked on a map once I find it so that I may return.
Ok. Maybe I misunderstood you then. But I agree it could be nice to see the achieved ones on an overlay map.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Hey Mapper,Thanks for all your hard work on Aerocache.com. It is a great site for finding information about Aerocaches. I can't believe you have them all up there. Are you going to continue maintaining the site and post information about the Alaskan Adventure Pack caches too?

I got that one (I have to admit) by clicking on the map a few times. You click, you check the aerocache indicator, and after a few times you know in which direction you should search. Do some more clicks to make the area you have to search smaller and smaller. I ended up clicking just some 25 meter from the aerocache.I normally don't do this with other aerocaches because above land it is easy to know where you should go if you suddenly 'lose' a ring: above the water everything looks the same and it's quit hard to know where you've already been.
I really do not know where is that aerocatche, but if its in range of any VOR station, you should be able to fly on radial strait to the "coin"sincerely, the flight subforum cockroach

Are you going to continue maintaining the site and post information about the Alaskan Adventure Pack caches too?
Yes! we will be adding the Alaskan Adventure Pack caches on AeroCache.com as soon as it is released. We are looking for contributors to help with this effort. If anybody is interested, PM me or submit your info on our site.

Water everywhere aerocache is at N18° 32' 16.97" W155° 45' 5.57"can somebody make a triangulation with two VORs on a sectionnal chart?

It's 24 miles magnetic south from the southmost point on the island. Stay low when you get close, as it's close to the water and difficult to see. I flew it in the Stearman, which has a lat/long readout on the radio, although I never used it.Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Thanks, been to South Point two times but never went out to sea far enough. Now I got it.

If you're using the compass, be sure to account for wind drift. :)Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Water everywhere aerocache is at N18° 32' 16.97" W155° 45' 5.57"can somebody make a triangulation with two VORs on a sectionnal chart?
You only need one VOR and a DME readout. See my earlier post (post #32) in this thread. Not sure what plotting it on a sectional chart would achieve, as they are for navigating with reference to visual features and this Aerocache is located only near........water.

Checkout aerocache.com to find out about the upcoming Hawaiian Aerocache kml file release. The file has ALL of the AeroCaches in one easy to view place.

Checkout aerocache.com to find out about the upcoming Hawaiian Aerocache kml file release. The file has ALL of the AeroCaches in one easy to view place.
Awesome Mapper! thanks! will check it out!

Hooray for a kml file. I have been waiting for that. It will be cool to be able to see all of the caches on the same map, and be able to revisit the ones I have already collected. Thanks Mapper!