Sign in to follow this  

After the goldrush

First of all, sometime ago someone (Hi Ray!) said I was so frickle. I didn't know the word and so I looked it up: he was right. So keep that in the back of your mind when you read this post.Today I was thinking about MS Flight and 'After the goldrush' came to mind. The title of that great Neil Young album and song seemed to fit very well to what I was thinking about MS Flight. MS Flight took mne by surprise but what am I thinking after the first rush and after chasing gold litteraly...? :wink:1. Maybe I am the only one, but I noticed that due to the lack of Track IR support, I stop doing things like changing RPM and the mixture. Or checking things in the VC. Since 1. I can hardly read the gauges without zooming in a lot and 2. since all that zooming screws up my changed position (which I change everytime at startup) and 3. looking around is cumbersome, I notice I stop doing things which I did in FSX...2. This means I am simply flying around and not bothering about systems and hence I am 'simming' less. There is no depth in what I do in MS Flight.3. The options to skip to the next waypoint but also to move yourself to another spot using the map in free flight, are SO EASY that I use them before I know it... SInce I am not 'simming' anymore, but just flying, I tend to skip parts sooner.4. Because I skip parts sooner, but also because I go from mission to challenge to job to free flight all the time, I lose connection with the simworld: I hop around the Hawaii island so much that I don't have the sense of being there anymore.5. Because the view in the VC is so static (no Track IR, no EZdok) everything feels a bit fake. And because of the sometimes very twitchy controls, the planes feel so light and not real.In short: the way I experience MS Flight is totally different then how I experienced FSX... And I am beginning to miss the depth that FSX has. On the other hand I don't want to miss the utterly smooth experience MS Flight is giving me...!Well, as I said, I seem to be very fickle and I think I just have a bad day and tomorrow I will be totally happy again with MS Flight, but well... I do wonder how others are looking at MS Flight 'after the goldrush'. :wink:

Well, as I said, I seem to be very fickle and I think I just have a bad day and tomorrow I will be totally happy again with MS Flight, but well... I do wonder how others are looking at MS Flight 'after the goldrush'. :wink:
I agree, yep you are fickle!Nahh, it is just the difference. Flight and FSX are two very , very different products.I tell ya how I look at , and use them both - I use Flight for quick and just utterly fun entertainment, no preparation required - just double click that icon no matter where I am on my desktop, and off I go. I find it very entertaining, and expect no more out of it than what it is.When I want to be more serious, and have more depth - then I will close down running programs, enable my joystick emulation in my Cougar for my FSX profile, load up REX weather, create a flight plan, and spend an hour or two blazing through the skies in my default 737, enjoying the magnificent scenery from my addons, and being well satisfied at the end of another successful flight, hauling my passengers from point a to point b...So as I continue to have fun with a Flight Challenge or Mission, I will aso continue to get great satisfaction from FSX - they really do serve two needs for me - kind of like whether one is in the mood to watch a lighthearted comedy movie, or a more serious drama movie. I enjoy them both, but there will be days I might prefer one over the other, and other days vice-versa.Right now , this week, I have certainly spent more of my simming time in Flight, but it is new and I am still learning about it. There will come a time , probably soon, I will spend more time in FSX than Flight, especially I am sure when REX Essentials is released. But either way, I will still continue to enjoy both.But I do really, really need Track IR support in Flight!!!

Gaming overload.. It happens with almost any new game that you are instantly addicted to. Happened with me and Skyrim.. Bought it then after a week, full grown beard, slightly disheveled looking and zombie like I starting being `fickle' about it and nitpicking everything. That's when I knew it was time to put it away and start being a human being again.. :) Stopped playing it for a few days and fell into just playing it for an hour or two at a stretch and then playing something else.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I am using the VC all the time though flying with mouse - it feels quite natural. Its true that the gauges tend to be difficult to see clearly.

Gaming overload.. It happens with almost any new game that you are instantly addicted to. Happened with me and Skyrim.. Bought it then after a week, full grown beard, slightly disheveled looking and zombie like I starting being `fickle' about it and nitpicking everything. That's when I knew it was time to put it away and start being a human being again.. :) Stopped playing it for a few days and fell into just playing it for an hour or two at a stretch and then playing something else.
I played it for a week straight.... and then I took an arrow to the knee.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

After reading the posts on this forum I'm starting to feel very lucky. I didn't even know what Track IR was until I came here and I never purchased FSX so I just fire up Flight and enjoy the heck out of it. MS gave me a free game and I can't remember the last time that happened if ever. I feel sorry for all of the folks who are disappointed with Flight.

One does not simply get fickle with Skyrim.... not unless you got an arrow to the knee.... ;)