Sign in to follow this  
Abrupto

Struggling with IAS mode and speed

HelloI'm a total newbie with this plane so forgive my ignorance. For take-off I select HDG ; ALT SEL; and V/S 1500 fpm. Positive rate gear-up a.s.o. When at crusing altitude if I change to IAS mode the plane starts climbing and speed increases. Can you please tell me which is the right way to go or point me some tutorial to follow?Thank you so muchHenrique

IAS mode is not an auto throttle. IAS mode simply pitches your aircraft up or down until the speed reaches whatever speed you set.

Noah Bryant

IAS mode is not an auto throttle. IAS mode simply pitches your aircraft up or down until the speed reaches whatever speed you set.
Thank you Bryant, but how do I set the speed.Say the aircraft is level at 9000 feet 190kts and I want to descend to 3000 feet 135kts. Where do I input the 135kts? As soon as the aircraft descends the speed increases. How to control it?Henrique

Try to follow the tutorial. It will help you understand how the autopilot works.

Kyle Rodgers

You don't have verticle navigation in the JS41, if you want to go from 9000 at 190 IAS to lower and slower you are going to have to either slow down before going down or go down then slow down. This plane will not generally slow down in a descent. Here's what I'd do: Pull torque to min, hold my altitude until 140 indicated then hold 140 with pitch until at 3000 and add power to hold 135. I suspect that's the most efficient way to get there. Just wondering, why this constraint?

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you Bryant, but how do I set the speed.Say the aircraft is level at 9000 feet 190kts and I want to descend to 3000 feet 135kts. Where do I input the 135kts? As soon as the aircraft descends the speed increases. How to control it?Henrique
Use the black roller switch that is located on the center pedestal. You can find this info in the manual/tutorial.If you were at cruise altitude and wanted to descend:1. Reduce power, the aircraft will start slowing as it maintains altitude.2. Set the speed to whatever descent speed you want to use, I use 180 or 190kts.3. Set the altitude to your new altitude4. As the aircraft speed nears the target speed that you set, select IAS mode and select ALT ARM mode.The aircraft will then adjust it's pitch to maintain the target speed. Once the aircraft achieves the altitude you set, it switch back to ALT mode and you will have to increase throttle some.

Noah Bryant