Sign in to follow this  
tom79

Stearman Tailspins

Hi all!When I installed Flight, I initially turned off all the flight assists. But I could swear that I wasn't able to do spins in the Stearman.Today I tried again and now I can do spins. So I was wondering if the model was updated or are spins a feature that gets unlocked with growing experience?Has anybody else experienced this or did I just not try hard enough in my first hour with the Stearman?

I had no trouble doing spins several days ago, in the Stearman Aerobatic learning misson/adventure, can't remember which it was. It is the one where the female instructor from the ground helps you learn to do specific aerobatics in the Stearman.

I could not get it to spin. But that is probably just me. I hit full left rudder and it would start but the nose would drop and it would recover. I can't keep it spinning without it dropping too much and recovering. I'll have to keep trying things.

I mentioned in another thread that the sim seemed to me to be changing subtly, and I wondered if we were getting stealth updates.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think the spinning behavior is not a 100% accurate. Doing a power-off stall with rudder input should produce an instant spin, but this seems not to work. But I can spin if i fly a little more wacky than that...Also, there is stat named 'consecutive spins' in the pilot profile...so it seems to be intended.

Seems to work if you use the method suggested in the aerobatics tutorial, and add a bit of throttle when you kick the rudder (to make the rudder input more effective). No idea if a real stearman works that way, I fly gliders :).

I didn't do that tutorial yet (is it in the Hawaiian Adventure pack?). But I got my first spin award yesterday :Peace:

I did some reading on this after posing on another thread about stalls and ###### being poorly modeled.now I am not to sure that the stalls and spins are too docile. all the material I have found on the Stearman indicates that it is very reluctant to stall or spin with power and without the installation of stall strips. I don't know if the model in flight has the stall strips.I'll have to wait until they introduce a C172 to hold my judgment. there has to be someone here with time in a Stearman! Where are you? :)

Hm, should be possible without power applied:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfebBDrctz8

Sorry I wasn't clear on my last post.It is definitely possible to spin the flight Stearman, but it takes a lot more effort than I would expect. On top of that it comes right out of the spin without performing PARE even after more than 3 revolutions. In fact, I recovered into a spiral dive with full up elevator and full right aileron by simply neutralizing the rudder.I also haven't been able to spin to the right, it always goes into a spiral dive.the flight spin is still much much better than whatever you call it that you got in FSX. Thumbs up overall.

best spin in any aircraft made for a flight sim is still the A2A Piper Cub, imho. Maybe I am biased since I also own a Cub and have spun it...

What this game counts as spins is.... Questionable to say the least..I got bored at 10,000ft and just stopped. Hope eventually they work on this and wipe everyones spin stats.93a83b65.jpghttp://youtu.be/eWDtgAyCQVo

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I had trouble with the spins at first during the Stearman Aerobatic learning misson. I managed to get everything else no problem on the first try, the instructions seemed bang on. Except when it came to spins, I'm sure she said after the stall to only apply full left rudder. But that didn't get me into a good enough spin to count. I had to climb and try again. I got it to spin with full left rudder and full left aileron.

Seems to work if you use the method suggested in the aerobatics tutorial, and add a bit of throttle when you kick the rudder (to make the rudder input more effective). No idea if a real stearman works that way, I fly gliders :).
Thanks for the "bit of throttle" idea - popped full throttle along with kicking the rudder at stall, spun like a champ! Note - not the Aeronca Champ...After entering the spin, removed throttle and let controls neutralized - yep, spinning. Corrective action was "normal", nothing funky required.So, go my "first spin" award, and now I can finally ace the Stearman Aerobatic challenge!

I tried it again today, when I happened to arrive at an airport way too high. Stalled it with power on, and no spin. Then I stalled it at idle, and THEN added about 50% throttle and full left rudder. Spun almost all the way to the ground after that, even with the throttle pulled back again. As soon as I let go, it recovered though, but that might have something to do with speed.I have to say that, even if it's a little too hard to get into a spin in Flight, it looks and feels like the real thing once you're in it. And the planes I've spun all recovered when I neutralized the controls, but they were high performance gliders, not an old stringbag like the Stearman, which might be different in this regard. And I've also flown planes that were physically impossible to spin! The ASK-21 for example, simply won't spin no matter what you do (although I have a friend who claims to have spun it inverted, on the top of half a cuban 8). It's so nose heavy that when you stall it and stomp on the rudder, it simply turns 180 degrees, loses a few tens of meters, and keeps flying!