Sign in to follow this  
Jetstream96

Why brakes failed?

Just made a landing at KMIA, but brakes don't work!!!Since runway 26R is only 8600ft and my LDGWT=138.4(1000LB), I used autobrake Max and flaps 30 for landing. Vref is 146+5=151kt. Wind is calm. After touchdown, I engaged reverse thrust until 60 knots, speedbrake deployed since it was armed. However, brakes don't anymore (in fact I am not sure it works before or not). Why?This flight was reloaded from a saved panel state. Can this cause the problem?

How hot were the brakes?

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

How hot were the brakes?
I have 2 failures in FMC - "Brakes failed" and "Excessive brake heat". The brake temperature is in yellow bar.I really consider this is because of my reload of this flight.

Since you have overheated the brakes they won't work (thx PMDG). As far as I know MAX is only used in emergencies or similar. I think that for short runways 2 or possibly 3 is the better alternative for the autobrake.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

It's probably because you were using slew mode and dropped your aircraft with F1 on the ground and released it while your brakes were set on RTO. It happens to me everytime my brakes are at RTO when I use slew for whatever reason. It can also happen when your aircraft is reloading at a state and drops a few feet on the ground, probably when it's on RTO, that sets your brakes heat level to 10.0+, which leads to a failure of your brakes. You just need to go to your FMC failures and clear it. Not a big deal if you ask me.

Since you have overheated the brakes they won't work (thx PMDG). As far as I know MAX is only used in emergencies or similar. I think that for short runways 2 or possibly 3 is the better alternative for the autobrake.
In this case the brakes should not be overheated. Imagine a rejected takeoff with the same condition, everything should work fine without fail the brakes. I know I may use flaps 40 instead next time.
It's probably because you were using slew mode and dropped your aircraft with F1 on the ground and released it while your brakes were set on RTO. It happens to me everytime my brakes are at RTO when I use slew for whatever reason. It can also happen when your aircraft is reloading at a state and drops a few feet on the ground, probably when it's on RTO, that sets your brakes heat level to 10.0+, which leads to a failure of your brakes. You just need to go to your FMC failures and clear it. Not a big deal if you ask me.
Thanks for your reply. I will check FMC failure page next time when reload a flight.

I went on with tutorial 2 yesterday and was left behind somewhere around page 52. After continueing, I came along a part where I was noted 2 times not too use the brake button on the joystick but really use the mouse and brake leaver in the virtual cockpit.The reason was that indeed a bit earlyer in tut2 it was order to set rto on.Maikel Rozemeijer.