Sign in to follow this  
RedStar101

Autoland Issue

Heya,I'm beginning to have issues with Autoland. I flown to 3 airports, Cardiff, Sofia and Fuerteventura and on each landing the autoland has failed and I don't know what went wrong and why. I dialed in the correct ILS's into both Captains and FO ils's dials, dialed in the correct course into both bourse dials on the mcp I've enter the runway length and elevation into the HGS. I establish the ILS Loc however when I look at the HUD 'NO AIII' is flashing and the speed dial doesn't switch on from VNAV which remains on. On each occasion I have ended up either overshooting the runway or having a hard landing when I have tried to land it myself. Can somebody help me?

Hi,did you...?- set the ils freq on both nav radios- set the course on both mcp dials- arm VOR/LOC mode and let the autopilot capture the loc- once captured, arm APP mode- when the glide slope is captured the autopilot mode will display "SINGLE CH" and the speed dial switchs on- now you have to engage both autopilots (CMD A and CMD :( autoland won't engage unless both autopilots are on- ap mode will display "single ch" until about 1500 feet agl when the system performs a self test and engages LAND 3 moderunway lenght and elevation are used by the hgs and do not affect autopilotalso you should be at the correct altitude in order to capture the glide slope, if you are too high (above the glide slope) it's not possible to capture it.Which MCP are you using? Collins or honeywell?If you did all this and still have issues then i don't know what's happening.

Make sure FS really has an ILS there and that you actually see VOR/LOC and G/S on the FMA. If you see FAC and G/P, that means there's no actual localizer and glideslope signals and you're using IAN, which cannot do an autoland.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi,did you...?- set the ils freq on both nav radios- set the course on both mcp dials- arm VOR/LOC mode and let the autopilot capture the loc- once captured, arm APP mode- when the glide slope is captured the autopilot mode will display "SINGLE CH" and the speed dial switchs on- now you have to engage both autopilots (CMD A and CMD :( autoland won't engage unless both autopilots are on- ap mode will display "single ch" until about 1500 feet agl when the system performs a self test and engages LAND 3 moderunway lenght and elevation are used by the hgs and do not affect autopilotalso you should be at the correct altitude in order to capture the glide slope, if you are too high (above the glide slope) it's not possible to capture it.Which MCP are you using? Collins or honeywell?If you did all this and still have issues then i don't know what's happening.
Why don't you read his post if you're trying to help him? He clearly said that he has ILS in both radios and also the cours in both MCP windows.I'll try to help you now.These are the steps for an autoland:1. Look at the INIT REF page for the ILS frequency and course.2. Dial the ILS frequency into both the Captain's, and F/O's radios, after you done this make sure you click the <-> button to switch them both to the active side of the NAV 1 radios.3. Dial the runway course shown in the FMC in both Course windows on the MCP.4. On the NAV 1 and NAV 2 radios, you see a row of small round buttons. These are for identification of the radio frequency. Click that small NAV 1 button. Now you should hear the morse code. If you don't, go to Wold -> Map, and check the frequency of the ILS.5. Approach the localizer at around a 30-45 degree angle, from around 10-12 nm from runway treshold, make sure you are at around 2000 feet AGL (Above Ground Level). Once you approach the localizer, turn on VOR LOC. Also make sure that BOTH F/D's are ON. Approach the localizer at Flaps 1 and Flaps 1 manouvering speed. After localizer is captured slow to Flaps 5 manouvering speed.6. As soon as the G/S starts to come down on the PFD, press the APP button on the MCP. At G/S capture, put Flaps to 15, put the gear down and slow to Flaps 15 manouvering speed. The speed window should be open now, if not opened already. If not, just press the C/O button on the MCP. Not sure if it's called C/O.7. Now press the second autopilot, so you have both autopilots enabled, make sure you do this BEFORE 1500 feet.8. At flaps 15 manouvering speed put flaps to your final landing flaps and slow to VREF+5, arm the speed brakes, but Ignition to Continuous, and put the landing lights on if not on already.

Why don't you read his post if you're trying to help him? He clearly said that he has ILS in both radios and also the cours in both MCP windows.I'll try to help you now.These are the steps for an autoland:1. Look at the INIT REF page for the ILS frequency and course.2. Dial the ILS frequency into both the Captain's, and F/O's radios, after you done this make sure you click the <-> button to switch them both to the active side of the NAV 1 radios.3. Dial the runway course shown in the FMC in both Course windows on the MCP.4. On the NAV 1 and NAV 2 radios, you see a row of small round buttons. These are for identification of the radio frequency. Click that small NAV 1 button. Now you should hear the morse code. If you don't, go to Wold -> Map, and check the frequency of the ILS.5. Approach the localizer at around a 30-45 degree angle, from around 10-12 nm from runway treshold, make sure you are at around 2000 feet AGL (Above Ground Level). Once you approach the localizer, turn on VOR LOC. Also make sure that BOTH F/D's are ON. Approach the localizer at Flaps 1 and Flaps 1 manouvering speed. After localizer is captured slow to Flaps 5 manouvering speed.6. As soon as the G/S starts to come down on the PFD, press the APP button on the MCP. At G/S capture, put Flaps to 15, put the gear down and slow to Flaps 15 manouvering speed. The speed window should be open now, if not opened already. If not, just press the C/O button on the MCP. Not sure if it's called C/O.7. Now press the second autopilot, so you have both autopilots enabled, make sure you do this BEFORE 1500 feet.8. At flaps 15 manouvering speed put flaps to your final landing flaps and slow to VREF+5, arm the speed brakes, but Ignition to Continuous, and put the landing lights on if not on already.
How ironic!

-Iain Watson-

How ironic!
Well, had asked questions that the OP had already answered in his original post, I simply put some things he said the the correct order for the autoland to work. :)

I thought that was what Diego84 was attempting to do, in so many words or less........ Bit harsh Arjen.....

I thought that was what Diego84 was attempting to do, in so many words or less........ Bit harsh Arjen.....
Naaaa, i missed the "make sure you click the <-> button to switch them both to the active"...