Sign in to follow this  
Airbus

AOPA Cessna Cardinal Lights

Anyone have this aircraft for FSX? I can't seem to get the taxi light or landing light to project on the ground. I looked at the lights section of the aircraft.cfg file and perhaps this is where the problem is. If anyone could shed some "light" on this subject I would be thankfull!

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

I just thought I would bump this one more time to catch anyone who may have this aircraft.Thanks!

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Hi there,I have the AOPA Cardinal but have yet to install it on my present system. I will try to do so in the next day or so, and I'll give you a heads-up once I have taken a peek at the condition that you are describing. Rusty

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Hi there,

I [re]installed the AOPA Cardinal on my new system (geez, I forgot how much I like this aircraft!). For me, the Landing Light seems to be working properly- it appears correctly on the plane's nose, and, for me, it is indeed casting light upon the ground and illuminating it. With regard to the Taxi Light though, my switch does not seem to affect anything one way or the other...nothing, almost as if the switch were dead. Thus, it seems that the Landing Light switch on my installation activates in unison both nose lights- taxi and landing, and they both cast illumination upon the ground equally, and appear lighted on the nose. For me, the Taxi Light switch is redundant, and the dual lights effectively function as a dual landing light operated solely by the Landing Light switch.

I came across the following interesting thread responded to midway-down by Fr. Bill (a veritable fountain of knowledge regarding all things FS! :smile:), and he had some helpful insight into similar FSX conditions:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/247258-taxi-lights-in-fsx/

The Cardinal, then, may be a victim of the FSX programming characteristics that he described with respect to the effect of aircraft lighting casting or not casting illumination, and the taxi light issue may be a remnant thereof. I am not so adept at modifying cfg files, and there are much wiser folks here than myself that can probably offer a suggestion or two as to how this specific aircraft may be so modified. Additionally, perhaps the folks over at Flight1 (the developers- http://www.simforums.com/forums/flight-one-product-support_forum2.html ) might have some thoughts regarding all this

Let me know how you make out! Rusty

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Flight1 is supposedly going to release an updated version of the Cardinal; in fact in December Jim Rhodes said, "it's the next one out....and hopefully very soon." However, weeks go by with no news, and there doesn't seem to be any "buzz" about this thing so who knows what state it's in or what F1 is doing with it, if anything. I love Cardinals in real life, I loved the old Dreamfleet Cardinal, and I'm sure I'd love this one, but getting your hopes up about flight sim add-ons is a recipe for despair.

http://www.simforums...topic37474.html

One other thought: Double-check to ensure that you have "Aircraft lights illuminate the ground" checked off and selected in your Settings/Aircraft.

Cheers, Rusty

Rusty:

I just left a message in the Flight1 forum. I do have the "...illuminate the ground.." checked, but it still did not work. I did notice that there is no reference to the effect file fx_landing in the aircraft.cfg. So perhaps that is the problem. I did try editing the default Boeing 737-800 aircraft.cfg as recommended by Fr. Bill and it worked! Hopefully someone in the Flight1 forum will be able to sort this thing out. Otherwise, no night flying for me in this aircraft. :Just Kidding:

Thanks for your help!

Al Kaupa

Are you by chance using Active Sky or REX with the aircraft lighting enhancement options checked? Either of those programs are known to mess up landing or strobe lighting on some aircraft if you use the lighting enhancements both have. For example with them enabled on REX my RealAir dukes strobe lights wouldn't work anymore.. With Active Sky the RealAir dukes landing/taxi lights were starting their projection point about 100ft out and 10ft to the left and right of the aircraft..

So, if you are using either of those programs light enhancements restore your default backup textures, turn off those features and reinstall the enhancements.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Styckx:

Yes, I have REX but I could not find the aircraft lighting enhancement option. Could you please tell what menu or submenus to look for this?

BTW, as expected, Flight1 responded to my post and said they did not support the previous Cardinal version. Maybe someone else might chime in anyway.

Al Kaupa

I don't have rex installed anymore but should be in the options tab under the label of "Lighting themes"

Don't forget to restore your backup of your original textures first also.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors