Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lizardo

What constitutes "around the world"

This may seem like a simple question, but what qualifies as an "around the world" flight for record purposes. I assume there must be some minimum distance flown or some limit on latitude. Surely I can't land a mile or so from the pole, then take off, fly aound the pole and land, then claim to have made an unrefueled, around the world flight in 30 minutes and expect anybody to certify it. So what ARE the restrictions? anyone know?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

one must meet or exceed the same longitude and cross the equater a minimum of 4 times. I believe that was the requirement for Voyager.

Good question. Actually there is a whole organiztion of people who do it for fun: www.earthrounders.com Officially, per the Federation Aeronautique Internationale www.fai.org it is: #1 Cross all meridians and #2 Log 27,000 kilometers.

>one must meet or exceed the same longitude and cross the >equater a minimum of 4 times. This definition could be problematic. One could then fly to the equator, cross it 4 times within say 100 miles then flew way north and circle the North Pole.Michael J.

There is an "across both poles" flight being planned.