Sign in to follow this  
MartyK

Few questions on ILS landings

Thank you very much.

Would this be done with auto pilot on or off?

Also do i need to apply any other trim settings through an ILS landing? Aileron etc?

AP off, otherwise the autopilot should actually do it for you. You don't need to trim any other things, I'm not even sure, if you actually can trim the ailerons.

Btw, if you're using Tom Ruth's 225(which I guess you do), don't rely on its approach mode when flying with the AP on, because whe I did, it always descends to fast on the last mile, and its very difficult to recover it then and land it safely.

Hi there ok thanks for the info there thats very helpful!

What Antonov would you recommend?

I was using this one:

http://fsdownload.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1464 i think!

I also like to use the Abacus airbus A380 but ive noticed beside the FD switch is the ILS switch.

Ive tried the same prodcure with the A380 on following ILS etc but it doesnt seem to work.

how do i properly operate the ILS on the abacus A380?

Thanks very much indeed guys!

So glad i found this place you lot have been ace!

That's the 225 I've been talking about, and it's the only one I'm aware of.

I don't own Abacus's A380, but since it's an Airbus, I guess you need to press the APP button. The ILS button beside the FD switch only switches the LOC-G/S indicator on the primary flight display on/off (for visually controlling the flight path or for manually flying the ILS approach).

I will give it another go!

Thanks for the quick reply

Just done a partial ILS landing in Argentina using the antonov 225.

Everything was going wlel.. i was being guided in properly after clicking approach hold but then suddenly, at 1500 FT EVERYTHING fogged over completely so much so i lost sight of the runway (it was night) could literally only see the lights from the plane.

I could tell looking at the artificial horizon the plane was as usual pointing way too far down when it should have been level. So at 500 FT i took off the autoppilot and auto throttle and with the joystick manually levelled the plane and kept it level and at 120 kts until it hit the ground.

I have tried this method of holding down NUM1 key to level it but it doesnt seem to work and thought is that because its on autopilot or approach mode? But surely id be relying on both approach and autopilot to guide me in straight so it can land the plane?

Basicaly i want it so ideally the plane can land at a levelish angle and of course i pull up at the last 3 seconds... But i want it so the plane will remain flying level all through its approach.... the NUM1 doesnt seem to work and im not sure if thats because im in autopilot but if it is because im in autopilot, and i go switching it off then thats kinda ruined the whole idea of an ILS landing hasn't it?

Let me know guys.

Cheers.

If you are unsure about how to do an ILS approach, then it is probably not a great idea to learn it on something that is a bit obscure, since most people on here will be unable to offer advice on its level of system simulation. You'd be far better off learning it on a 737, at least everyone knows what systems they have.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Basicaly i want it so ideally the plane can land at a levelish angle and of course i pull up at the last 3 seconds... But i want it so the plane will remain flying level all through its approach.... the NUM1 doesnt seem to work and im not sure if thats because im in autopilot but if it is because im in autopilot, and i go switching it off then thats kinda ruined the whole idea of an ILS landing hasn't it?

You can't trim the plane while AP has control over it, that's why it doesn't work.

Usually pilots switch off AP and AT before touch down even when on ILS approach, unless the aircraft has Cat III certification, which I'm sure the 225 hasn't, so it wouldn't ruin the idea of an ILS approach.

I'll give it a try in the AN225 myself in a minute and try to find out what might be your problem.

That would be great.

To chock yeah you are right. I suppose i cant really go wrong with the standard 737 as it was intergrated with the game itself!

Thanks floga.

MartyK, I just tried to land the 225 a few times on ILS.

I know exactly what you mean, and it seems to me that the just AP doesn't like to have to align with the localiser first: When I did some approaches where I manually aligned the A/C with the LOC at a distance greater than 10NM from the runway threshold and switched the autopilot back on to APP mode, the plane perfectly followed the G/S until right before touchdown. I didn't even have the problem with the dropping nose then, but I had it when I let the A/P fly the approach completely.

I also tried to follow the G/S manually, only using throttle and trim for a stable approach and I must say that the 225 likes a lot better to be flown by hand on approach.

Btw, there must be some errors in the flight dynamics, because an aircraft that large simply can't fly at 120kts with nearly full tanks. This might also be where the problem of the dropping nose is located.

Maybe you'd like to try the AN124 by the same person who made the 225. It's located here http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=An124+&CatID=fsxac&Go=Search, and as far as I can say behaves more realistically.

Cheers

Flo

Great stuff mate!

Thanks for trying that out for me!

Will give that other antonov a go.

It's not the trim , if his nose is pointing down he is going too fast , pull your throttle back and slow down and observe your nose

attitude.

When pilots start their training they use small and slower aircraft , they do not start off on airliners , then

one of the things they do is endless series of rectangular circuits to develop a feel for the aircraft and to develop

a judgement of the approach to landing picture.

Try using a small prop aircraft like a Piper or Mooney and over time do about 30 or more rectangular circuits at the

same airport , practice your take offs , keeping your circuit square , reducing your airspeed for approach ,

configuring your aircraft landing gear and flaps , and very carefully develop an appreciation of what the runway perspective

looks like for a correct glideslope , do not use either the GPS or ILS or autopilot.

Learning to judge the correct approach glideslope perspective is hard and needs lots of practise, try to maintain a smooth and

constant runway perspective picture , if you keep chasing your approach pathway and jerking all over the place all

you are doing is making the task harder for yourself.

Cheers

Karol

It's not the trim , if his nose is pointing down he is going too fast , pull your throttle back and slow down and observe your nose

attitude.

Maybe it's not ONLY the trim, but I've tried flying the 225 through some approaches (manually folowing the G/S and with A/P on) at an approach speed of about 155 to 160kts, and everytime I had A/P on the nose would drop about 10-15° (and thus reaching vertical speeds of more than 2000fpm), but that didn't happen on my manual approaches (throttle and trim only) at the same speed. And from what I've read about the AN225 that speed seems appropriate to me, since its quite a bit larger than the 747.

Besides, I think that the FDE by Tom Ruth are quite a bad guess, because you can't land a 747 with nearly full tanks at 120kts, but the AN225 flies perfectly well at that configuration in the sim.

Just another quick question before i go back to basics...

Is anyone familiar wioth landing the Abacus A380?

It actually has an ILS button on it which seems to keep those pink marks on the artificial horizon at all times no matter how far from the airport i am.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with landing it with ILS and if so how would it be done?

I did try it with following that gudie i mentioned a few posts ago but it didnt work properly.

If not i have tried to find a manual for the plane but cvant find it anywhere on the net was wondering if anyone knows if one exists and if so where i can get 1?

I thought maybe in the manual it would explain all details about the plane + its ILS.

Thanks for the rpeleis am really starting to consider going bac to the lesssons......... are these FSX lessons good or are there 3rd party lessonsi can download from a website?

Thanks.

MartyK

Regards the A380 manual , why not see if Airbus have a website or a technical site that might have info

that you require , also check in FSX and the aircraft folder Abacus may have included some notes ,

well at least they should have provided some notes.

Cheers

Karol