Sign in to follow this  
MartyK

Few questions on ILS landings

Hi guys

Just got a few questions idl ike to ask about on here about ILS Landings.

Do i definitely need ATC running in order to perform an ILS landing?

Do ATC need to say 'runway straight in' or 'runway clear' in order for the plane to actually perform that?

Also when ive landed at an airport successfully when i use GPS 500 to program in the next airport i want to go to it doesnt seem to register on ATC. How do i make it register on ATC so i can get guided down to the next destination airport?

Because im forever just sitting 36,000 above the runway circling with nothing from ATC.

Thanks guys.

yes you definetly need atc running. ATC does say clear to land.

after you've landed at your destination, you'll have to create another flight plan from the current gate and airport to the next destination.

the same thing happened to me when I did a flight with a bunch of stopovers with nothing from atc to help me land. I went over the airport. this only happenes with IFR flights. if your vfr, you can do it.

so, when you want another destination, just create another flight plan. simple as that.

hope this helps.

Hi guys

Just got a few questions idl ike to ask about on here about ILS Landings.

Do i definitely need ATC running in order to perform an ILS landing?

Do ATC need to say 'runway straight in' or 'runway clear' in order for the plane to actually perform that?

Also when ive landed at an airport successfully when i use GPS 500 to program in the next airport i want to go to it doesnt seem to register on ATC. How do i make it register on ATC so i can get guided down to the next destination airport?

Because im forever just sitting 36,000 above the runway circling with nothing from ATC.

Thanks guys.

In FSX you don't need ATC to perform an ILS landing since having the frequency and the approach chart is enough. Of course, in RW you'd need to, but as long as you are in the simulation and as long as you don't use any traffic you can make a full flight without any itc guidance.

I made a few weeks ago to help a guy on the boards to figure out how to make an ILS landing in the 145, and as you can see no ATC contact was established.

after you've landed at your destination, you'll have to create another flight plan from the current gate and airport to the next destination.

Thanks very much. Is there a way i can create that flight plan without having to change everything if you know what i mean? Because usually when i start a new flight plan it brings up that white box to reconfigure everything filling in altitude then it starts a whole new flight form that airport. Which means altering weather, time etc etc

Is there a way i can continue from that exact gate with a new flight plan in order for ATC to be fully functional? If so, how?

the same thing happened to me when I did a flight with a bunch of stopovers with nothing from atc to help me land. I went over the airport. this only happenes with IFR flights. if your vfr, you can do it.

Oh wow so i can still use VFR and ILS and ATC will do the same thing right?

In FSX you don't need ATC to perform an ILS landing since having the frequency and the approach chart is enough. Of course, in RW you'd need to, but as long as you are in the simulation and as long as you don't use any traffic you can make a full flight without any itc guidance. This is a video I made a few weeks ago to help a guy on the boards to figure out how to make an ILS landing in the 145, and as you can see no ATC contact was established.

will have a good look at that vid thanks a lot!

Is there a way i can continue from that exact gate with a new flight plan in order for ATC to be fully functional? If so, how?

You don't have to reposition your aircraft when you create the new flight plan. Simply set up the flight plan as you normally would and then select "No" when asked if you want to reposition your aircraft. As long as you have to starting airport correct you should have no problem using ATC for the next leg as well.

Oh wow so i can still use VFR and ILS and ATC will do the same thing right?

When you fly VFR you will get no guidance at all from ATC. You can still fly the ILS approach, but you will not be told what altitude to fly at or when to descend, and no vectors to line you up with the approach.

Thanks so much for your help to everybody!

Ill see how i go then let you know how i go! :D

Hi there

Those rpelies were very helpful all of them worked so thank you very much for your help!

Whenever i fly a plane doing a visual approach (This is not using ILS Glideslope) whenever i get close to the airport im forever manually positioning the plane to line it up directly with the runway...

Is there a way i can automaticly get the plane exactly lined up with the runway then take control myself without having to move the plane left to right but only to use up and down on the joystick to land the plane?

I know that to make the plane follow the pink line i need the NAV hold switch on, GPS switch to GPS and Autopilot enabled im happy with that i wouldl ike to continue that but when i get to the airport the plane circles but i was wondering if when down at a good level for example 2000 feet if theres a way i could create a flight path or pink line going to the airport that the plane will fly along so i will not need to keep moving it left and right if you know what i mean?

I would like to do this without relying on a glideslope if thats possible?

Or is there another way of approaching a runway without constantly having to move the plane left and right?

Please let me know guys.

Thanks.

What you are asking for then, is how to perform an ILS landing without using the ILS, and that is not going to be possible. So, the easiest substitute would be to fly to within about 10 miles of the airport as you normally do, then disengage autopilot, then fly manually to a point where you will be lined up for the airport's runway a few miles out from it, then come into the airport from there.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi there

Those rpelies were very helpful all of them worked so thank you very much for your help!

Whenever i fly a plane doing a visual approach (This is not using ILS Glideslope) whenever i get close to the airport im forever manually positioning the plane to line it up directly with the runway...

Is there a way i can automaticly get the plane exactly lined up with the runway then take control myself without having to move the plane left to right but only to use up and down on the joystick to land the plane?

I know that to make the plane follow the pink line i need the NAV hold switch on, GPS switch to GPS and Autopilot enabled im happy with that i wouldl ike to continue that but when i get to the airport the plane circles but i was wondering if when down at a good level for example 2000 feet if theres a way i could create a flight path or pink line going to the airport that the plane will fly along so i will not need to keep moving it left and right if you know what i mean?

I would like to do this without relying on a glideslope if thats possible?

Or is there another way of approaching a runway without constantly having to move the plane left and right?

Please let me know guys.

Thanks.

Try using the "PROC" key on the GPS to load and activate an approach procedure for the runway you want. Instead of circling the airport you can follow the "pink line" to the runway. If you don't disconnect the autopilot, it will follow the "missed approach" portion of the approach once you get to the runway (or missed approach point, but for your purposes that's a technicality). Note that not every approach will align you with the centerline of the runway. RNAV and ILS approaches are you best bets.

scott s.

Thanks for the replies there guys.

Before i knew about all this instruments i would fly the plane form A to B using no auto pilot just followed that pink line on the GPS until i got there then say i was 36,000 FT i would drop at 1000 FT per min starting from 36 mins form the airport. Then when i was at the airporti would zoom in on the GPS as much as i could and using the joystick tried my best to align the plane with the centre of the runway but quite often misjudged and ended up having to swerve left to right when on the runway. I was using the flaps throughout doing this also.

Is that a VFR approach?

It doesnt seem thats the way to land a plane though it just seems very unstable.. i thought maybe there would be some heading number or somethingi would have to (by eye) line the plane up with in order to land it properly.... Rather than constantly making sure im in between those green arrows which run me into the runway.

I wasn't even using autothrottle i was just adjusting the throtte manually by the joystick.

Is this the proper way a visual approach should be done?

Maybe someone could make it easier for me or tlel me what im missing?

Thanks so much again guys.

Thanks for the replies there guys.

Before i knew about all this instruments i would fly the plane form A to B using no auto pilot just followed that pink line on the GPS until i got there then say i was 36,000 FT i would drop at 1000 FT per min starting from 36 mins form the airport. Then when i was at the airporti would zoom in on the GPS as much as i could and using the joystick tried my best to align the plane with the centre of the runway but quite often misjudged and ended up having to swerve left to right when on the runway. I was using the flaps throughout doing this also.

Is that a VFR approach?

It doesnt seem thats the way to land a plane though it just seems very unstable.. i thought maybe there would be some heading number or somethingi would have to (by eye) line the plane up with in order to land it properly.... Rather than constantly making sure im in between those green arrows which run me into the runway.

I wasn't even using autothrottle i was just adjusting the throtte manually by the joystick.

Is this the proper way a visual approach should be done?

Maybe someone could make it easier for me or tlel me what im missing?

Thanks so much again guys.

I strongly suggest you start the flight school in FSX. There are too many things to explain. For instance, you wouldn't be allowed to fly VFR at 36k feet.

As for runway alignment, having the actual airport charts helps a lot. Knowing the runway heading is useful too, but if you don't you might want first overfly the airport and check by your own, then go into a pattern.

Again, I suggest you should take those helpful lessons MS has provided with their software.

Although a visual approach does not use automated systems to line you up or control the rate of descent, a visual approach will most often involve some kind of entry pattern or starting point (known as the intial approach point) for you to follow in order to assist you in getting lined up with the runway correctly. Otherwise there would be aircraft coming from all over the place, risking collisions near the airfield.

Visual approaches are technically IFR approaches when airliners fly them, since they are flown under IFR rather than VFR even though the procedure is in fact done visually, but in practical terms, you might want to instead consider making an approach from a traditional 'circuit' (known as a 'pattern' in the US) if you don't want to learn how to do it absolutely as per the real world.

This is where you fly downwind, parallel to the runway about a third of a mile or so off to the side of it (more like a couple of miles in an airliner), then make a ninety degree turn when the runway is in a position over your shoulder, then make another ninety degree turn to line up with the runway, descending as you go. Traditionally, such circuits are commenced at around a 1,000 feet for light aircraft (perhaps 2,500 for an airliner), dropping to somewhere around 8-600 feet at the first turn and no lower than 400 feet at the turn onto final approach, although these figures vary between countries and different airfields. You would need to extend these numbers and distances if you did a circuit with an airliner, and so account for its wider turning circle and faster speeds, but the principle is the same. Generally speaking though, you'd normally only see airliners making a circuit if the crew were training, or it was a test flight, or maybe at an airshow.

Airliners are a lot more manueverable than most people think, and so it is possible to really fling them about and rack them around in tight turns at low level, but they are never operated that way on commercial flights, so you are probably better off following the rules if you want to simulate how it is done in the real world, but if you just want to have some fun, then there is nothing stopping you from doing that of course.

See these links for more info:

http://en.wikipedia....traffic_pattern

http://www.smartcock.../diagrams/0015/

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Wow! ok guys illhave a good look through and beigin learning properly instead of going straight in at the deep end!

Thanks so much for your help

Hi there

Just another quick thing i forgot to mention.

following this guide: http://www.fsx.co.za/showthread.php?t=1843

For some reason the nose of the plane is continously pointed down through out my descent from 7000 all the way to the runway.

This cant be normal.

When i adjust the speed brake it brings the nose up a little bit. I thought speedbrake would have done the other way and brought it down.

I was wondering what i can do to make the airplane maintain its level position on my approachto the runway?T

Just to remind you ive followed that guide exactly above and am using the Antonov 225.

Thanks ppl

To keep the aircraft in a level position on approach you should use the trim. By default the key commands are NUM1(nose up) and NUM3(nose down) if I remember correctly - I'm using my joystick's trim wheel for that purpose, though.

Hope that helps