Sign in to follow this  
Speedbird 217

Looking for the Best (Freeware) Military Sceneries

Hey folks,

usually I'm more of an airliner-simmer. Anyway, I couldn't resist the VRS F-18 and love this plane. It sure can't beat the F-14 (judging by the looks), but it's close behind.

The only thing is that I don't really know of any good military sceneries for FS9, and my search in the usual places didn't reveal too much. I thought it'd be great if you would share any good sceneries of military airports you know of.

I'll start by recommending you this great scenery of Andrews AFB: http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=kadw_v_1_00.zip

Do you know of any good sceneries for NAS Oceana, NAS Pensacola and NAS Lemoore?

Hey folks,

usually I'm more of an airliner-simmer. Anyway, I couldn't resist the VRS F-18 and love this plane. It sure can't beat the F-14 (judging by the looks), but it's close behind.

The only thing is that I don't really know of any good military sceneries for FS9, and my search in the usual places didn't reveal too much. I thought it'd be great if you would share any good sceneries of military airports you know of.

I'll start by recommending you this great scenery of Andrews AFB: http://www.flightsim...kadw_v_1_00.zip

Do you know of any good sceneries for NAS Oceana, NAS Pensacola and NAS Lemoore?

Military AI Works (MAIW) has Pensacola and Lemoore sceneries as well as other NAS and MCAS packages and will pack them with excellent AI as well. The sceneries aren't "cutting edge" but they are competent and will give your FA18 a home. And if you want to take it out to the "boat" there are several freeware packages that enable realistic carrier ops as well

There are some really excellent freeware military air bases available but they are mostly European - particularly UK. There are also a couple of excellent civil/military airports for Thailand

Try Tinker Air Force Base by John Stinstrom. It is in the Avsim file library. Very acurate, and good freeware scenery. It is an AFB but there is a big Navy presence with the E-6 Wing there. I was a Tower controller there for awhile and we had F-18's come through there all the time for gas and go.

V/r

Scott

Search for John Stinstrom here in the library. He makes the best freeware military scenery. There arent to many payware sceneries, the only ones I can think of are the FSdreamteam/Colud9 scenery for Aviano Air Base in Italy and UK2000 made a few British bases a while back.

Yes, John's stuff is top notch. I helped John with the NAS Brunswick scenery. The base isn't active anymore but take away the P-3's and it looks the same.

Although I have and enjoy Cloud 9's Aviano and Rivolto (LIPA and LIPI), they are pretty dated and no longer really what we expect as "payware" quality. I would say the same about the UK2000 RAF South sceneries. They were cutting edge in their day but you would probably be disappointed buying them today unless they were heavily discounted.

But there are some outstanding freeware UK bases. Look for any of the sceneries from ACG - RAF Marham, "Twin Bases", (Woodbridge and Benson) and RAF Bruggen in Germany. There is also an excellent RAF Leuchars, (UKMIL but I think it's actually the same designers who do the ACG sceneries), Waddington and RAF Coningsby... The MAIW Lakenheath is also outstanding. There is also a very good RAF Linton on Ouse. (I think that's how it's spelled - LOL!)

And then there is the awesome ACG Duxford scenery - it is in a class of its own.

There are several excellent dual use air bases, with Aerosoft's Keflavik probably the best payware and Thail Flight's freeware Chiang Mai as definitely payware quality.

It's odd that with all the excellent payware military aircraft available there are so few really cutting edge military air base sceneries available.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks a lot everybody! I'm downloading some of John Stinstrom's sceneries right now. My F-18's are seeking a home...