Sign in to follow this  
jagman

No approach to EGLL

I was approaching EGLL from the south last waypoint OCK for EGLL 27R.

I was cleared down to FL120 from FL130 "in 30 miles or less"

I reached FL120 in less than 10 miles.....about 50 miles DME from VOR LON.

I was then told I had missed my crossing point........???.

I was then given an easterly vector away from London "maintain FL120"

After flying this course until LON 50 miles DME I gave up and declared "Minimum Fuel"

I was instructed "fly direct EGLL....maintain FL120."

..........................did so to intercept ILS 27R.

No instruction to contact approach was forthcoming or descent instructions either

until it was clear to me I was not going to get in at all.

I aborted the flight then.

Glitch ? Bug.....?..or "pilot error" ?

First time a flight has failed in RC for me

Comments appreciated

David

In all probability your altimeter was set to the wrong pressure and you missed reaching FL120. If RC states a flight level then you need standard pressure of 29.92 in or 1013 mb. If RC orders you to a altitude in feet then you use the local pressure stated by the controller in case of a descent.

The B key in FS is hard coded to a transition level of 18,000 feet for FAA areas where in reality and RC the transition level is area determined. The controller page in RC will tell you what it uses for the transition altitude for each airport.

If you don't meet the crossing restriction you'll get delay vectors forever until you are determined to be at the crossing restriction altitude.

The crossing restriction falls at a forty mile radius from the airport coordinates. If you use a Boeing type FMC FMC you can put a range ring around the airport on the nav display. Go to the fix page and enter the airport ICAO code. For the place/bearing distance enter /40 and EXE it. You can then use if enabled the descent arcs to insure you are down to the commanded altitude by the time you cross the range ring.

Please read the RC manual sections on crossing restrictions and transition altitudes.

As always, make sure FSUIPC (and makerwys) is updated from the links posted above to insure RC is receiving the correct altimeter pressure, aircraft location and altitude, etc,

In addition updating makerwys and running the scenery rebuild will correct some scenery priority issues in RC retrieving airport data.

Hi David,

I have done countless flights into EGLL and have never had a problem like the one which you describe.

Using the range ring method I am usually down to crossing height about 4 miles before the ring.

Local pressure readings in the UK are all around the 5000/6000ft mark and until that altitude you should remain at standard pressure.I never use the "B" key always a manual adjustment.

Check your altitude tolerance in the RC options. Normal is two hundred feet.

If it is a one-time occurrence than I can't see anything incorrect. Any changes in your weather application? I use the same approach method you describe. Was your altitude changing due to turbulence? Hard to tell.

Anything else changed?

Thought of one more item possibly that might affect things. If there was an outstanding ack to an RC command it is possible RC stalled and it did not recognize your altitude in crossing and maybe its sequence got out of whack. That is mostly associated with missing waypoint credits. Just a thought as it might have been a random issue.

Thanks for the comments guys.....EGLL is "home base" for me and I too have flown hundreds of flights in and out.

I've just flown the approach again......this time everything went impeccably.

What did I do differently this time....?

I tightened up tthe RC altitude limit.

I used a 40mile range ring to aid the descent to the crossing limit.(i had forgotten about this facility)

I took care to descend on the QNH to an instructed altitude even when above the EGLL transition which is 6000ft.

I think perhaps I did not have the ears fully open and the brain fully engaged yesterday !

cheers to all

David

If the altitude goal is above the TA then RC announced a flight level. If it was below then it would have been stated as feet and then you use local pressure for reaching that altitude.The co-pilot voice "altimeter check" is your cue to that you have passed through the TA and your pressure should appropriately be set to standard or local.