Sign in to follow this  
Darth Mop

744 Engine flex?

Hi,

I just found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=YlLma_BLaM0

(remove the space after the slash)

if you check 1:50, you can see the amazing engine flex or however you want to call it, I've seen the 744 many times from the visitor terrace in EDDF however I never noticed that the engines are this much flexable? Is this an exception due to the severe turbulence on that flight or is this more common? if so, could you imagine to "add" this to your 744 V2?

I know it's rather stupid to ask for this but you have to admit, it looks impressive indeed ^_^

greets from rainy Germany,

Johnny

Very Common. Everything on an airplane is flexible to an extent. Otherwise it would be more prone to failure (breaking) essentially.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the flexibility or the aerodynamics during turbulence. It's pretty obvious that the aircraft is just doing a "La Ola" wave because as it happily anticipates the take off to get out of the damn weather! ;)

Just the wing flex and the weight of the engines moving it about, since those engines weigh about 8,500lbs apiece. The 747's wing is very tough in spite of how that appears, some 747 models can actually ferry a spare fifth engine which can be fitted on a special extra pylon on the port wing.

The weight of the engines counterbalances the upward bend of the wing at high speed, so engine weight is actually a necessary part of the design. That is one of the chief reasons why Boeing did not go ahead with their proposal to build a Tri-Jet 747 with an engine up on the tail and just one engine on each wing - it would have meant actually having to strengthen and increase the weight of the wings to do that, even though there would have been less weight hanging off them.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Leaving my joke aside here I have to say it LOOKS very unstable, but I trust what Alan says here as it wouldn't make sense to produce an aircraft / wing which is not stable enough to deal with the weight of the engines and the turbulences in addition. It looks stunning but also scaring (for me at least). I would've a bad feeling sitting in that plane during take off, watching the wings and the engines flexing like that. Just a feeling though...

I hope PMDG models this in the future 747.

Well, any wing bend is always a bit disconcerting, I usually make a point of not looking back at the wings on my glider too much, the amount those things bend always makes me feel nervous when I see them looking like a big banana, even though I know they are designed to do that LOL

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well, any wing bend is always a bit disconcerting, I usually make a point of not looking back at the wings on my glider too much, the amount those things bend always makes me feel nervous when I see them looking like a big banana, even though I know they are designed to do that LOL

Al

It's a little bit of a challenge not to look outside the window as a passenger on a 747 though. I mean, imagine a passenger aircraft without windows LOL. That must be even more flurrying.