Sign in to follow this  
rspring94

Sydney Airport 1987 Scenery Help

Hi

This is more directed to people who are familiar with YSSY. As you probably know runway 16L/34R was only built in the 90s. Before that, it was just 16R/34L (then known as 16/34) and 7/25.

I am trying to create scenery to replicate YSSY as it was in the 1980s. So far it is going alright, except for one problem. I can not work out how to delete the land underneath where 16L/34R was. I want the end result to be like this (satellite image): http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/corporate/community-environment-and-planning/~/media/Images/Corporate/Aviation%20Community/year%20round/Sydney%20Airport%20Aerial%20-%201987.jpg.

PLEASE don't talk about using the KML and using Excludes. PLEASE work out another way.

PS if the link doesnt work go to this link: (http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/corporate/community-environment-and-planning/aviation-community.aspx?print=true), scroll down to historical aerial images of sydney airport, and click on 1987.

Please Reply ASAP

First link doesnt work, please use 2nd link and follow instructions

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

QF147: SYD-AKL (ZK-ZQG)

27-5-2018

EK413: CHC-SYD (A6-EUI)

Hi

This is more directed to people who are familiar with YSSY. As you probably know runway 16L/34R was only built in the 90s. Before that, it was just 16R/34L (then known as 16/34) and 7/25.

I am trying to create scenery to replicate YSSY as it was in the 1980s. So far it is going alright, except for one problem. I can not work out how to delete the land underneath where 16L/34R was. I want the end result to be like this (satellite image): http://www.sydneyair...ial - 1987.jpg.

PLEASE don't talk about using the KML and using Excludes. PLEASE work out another way.

PS if the link doesnt work go to this link: (http://www.sydneyair...aspx?print=true), scroll down to historical aerial images of sydney airport, and click on 1987.

Please Reply ASAP

Make an apron over the land area you want to delete. Then make the apron surface water.

Edited by Blawrence

ive tried that it shows up in blue colours not as water

ill try it again

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

You might need to use SBuilderX on that one and redraw the coastline there.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Make an apron over the land area you want to delete. Then make the apron surface water.

Still showing up as a blue shape. :sad:

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

Still showing up as a blue shape. :sad:

Of course it will. It's not the proper method to make the changes.

Within FSX the method to make changes such as what you are wanting is simple, exclude what's there and add in new. First realize that all of FSX is land, with water added in. You want to remove some land where the newer runway is, so you need to exclude the existing water and add back water to meet your requirements.

Generally not a problem, but you want to go back in time. Off the top of my head, unless you have some geographic data from 25 years ago, your best bet would be to see if Google Earth has older imagery to display and then use FSX KML to work from that imagery. If you have some older, geo-rectified imagery than you might be able to use SBuilderX to make the changes.

This isn't a quick and easy project to turn out. Exclusions of water cover large areas and there will be areas to redraw outside the desired area. There are shorelines to exclude and redraw. There's wave activity to address. It's very doable, if you have some background in scenery work. If you are hoping to have it done in an hour or two..., you'll end up frustrated.

It may be possible to use ADE to generate some points to describe the old coastline, but you really need SBuilderX to effect the changes.

sidneyx.jpg

George

meshman[/color]' timestamp='1335451810' post='2351851']

and then use FSX KML

did you not read my first post???

It may be possible to use ADE to generate some points to describe the old coastline, but you really need SBuilderX to effect the changes.

George

Hi what coordinates did you use for the image?

How would you use SBuilder? I have it but I dont know how to use it to redraw coastlines :huh:

Edited by firehawk44
Removed image from quote.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

Hi what coordinates did you use for the image?

I added the image and rotated/scaled it to roughly fit the default AFD file.

did you not read my first post???

Yes, I did. But when you are asking to deviate from outside the norm, then there must be concessions made as to what you want or don't want to do. Google Earth might offer earlier imagery that would have made your task easier. Maybe not.

But I do find people that make the support demands conditional are not too aware of what they are asking. And I also find people who want to cop a bit of an attitude are people that I will gladly ignore, no matter how simplistic their demand might be.

WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE SO COMPLICATED???

I just want to delete land and have water there instead, what should i put into google?

I have tried 'fsx delete land' but using the words 'fsx' and 'land' bring up tutorials on HOW TO land in fsx.

there is clearly a way to do it, even if your saving it in fs9 format (go here and download yssy 1961 - http://www.calclassic.com/scenery.htm)

how was this done?

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

The tutorial on modifying terrain in FS X is right here in the Avsim library:

Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X

http://library.avsim...hp?&DLID=141643

It is not in the least bit complicated and is much simpler than in previous versions of FS. You are mistaken in thinking that it is beyond your comprehension or capabilities.

As Lance clearly mentioned, all the ground in FS is land! Then, on top of the land, there are water polygons. In order to change the shape of a coast, you must first imperatively remove (exclude) the default water polygon and then draw one with the shape you want.

There is nothing either complicated or difficult about it.

Best regards.

Luis

You are mistaken in thinking that it is beyond your comprehension or capabilities.

Too easy!

I am about to test in FS now.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

I am about to test in FS now.

Please help, its showing up as land instead of water.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

4 Months?!??

Is there NOONE that knows what to do?

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018