Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dho112

TCAS Audible Alert question...

I was on the approach to 28L at KSFO and the localizer was already alive and locked in, when I received a TCAS warning message and ATC instruction and the copilot was saying the one item in the approach checklist all at exactly the same time...

From the little bit that I could gather from the TCAS warning it said something like "Alert, crossing *something* *something*" along with an "increase rate of decent instruction" I got extremely flustered because of the volume of information all at once instant and kind of "vapor locked"

I think that next time the TCAS says anything I will simply ignore all other information...

Anyhow... does anyone know what exactly that TCAS message was that includes the word "crossing" It was a fairly lengthy sentence along with that word and I was just curious what exactly it says...

Oh, and I flipped off that damned Southwest jet that cut straight across my nose on its way to San Jose international... Why didn't ATC bring that to my attention? It's usually perfect about aircraft in my sphere of operation... It shot straight across my flightpath at about a 1/4 mile in front of me and exactly the same altitude... Yikes!

p.s. apologies for the repeated posts... how do you delete posts?

David Obando

KSFO

"Descend, Crossing, Descend. Descend, Crossing, Descend."

"Increase Descent, Increase Descent."

"Clear of Conflict."

You probably heard those three aural alerts through the traffic incursion. The first aural alert pretty means you both are at the same altitude and in this instance you were descending and he was climbing, and TCAS wants you to continue crossing through your current altitude. The second aural alert will mean you're not descending quickly enough to maintain seperation, and the third aural alert means TCAS gave up and decided to let the both of you work it out yourselves. :P

Rules of Wisdom:
Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Your airline can only make a small fortune by starting with an even larger fortune.

You MUST heed any TCAS warning. Forget ATC or any other information. TCAS comes first. This is mandatory!!

You most likely received a "Traffic Traffic" warning first. That is your cue to pay attention to the TCAS because when it gives an RA you only have seconds to react. As for your cockpit workload of course it increases near the ground. So be prepared for any and every eventuality. That's what being a pilot is all about!

vololiberista

3VlzBGn.jpg?1

Super VC10 into LOWI with PF3 at a cinema near you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298UDyNmgUA

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

18%
    $4,525.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now