Sign in to follow this  
AllFiredUp

It would be cool...

Chino Planes of Fame is just five miles from my home. I love seeing these classic warbirds fly around near my home. I love the smell of aviation fuel, oil and hydraulic fluids. Call me weird but I just do. As a former KC-135 crew chief, I just can't get over the sight, sounds and smell of military aviation.

It would be very cool to do this kind of flying, airshow style, in MS Flight. These planes have no working weapons, they are there to show the crowd, the pure joy and excitement of these classic warbirds.

http://youtu.be/VP0aGXtD_KA

For me MS Flight, with it's warbird add-ons, even cockpit-less, are fun and exciting. That's why I'm not going to complain about it. I think it's rather pointless to complain, because 1) I don't feel a sense of entitlement, 2) gaming and simulators and computer for that matter are a technology blessing (something, I think people take for granted nowadays).

It's why I like making videos like this:

Because it is just fun! I love it for it's escapism. But that's just my opinion.

I hope to, or at least try to, push and prod people not to diss MS Flight so soon or so much. I believe there is a good game plan going on with MS Flight. I honestly believe that there will be some great flying in Alaska with some great planes, but it takes time to create those planes. I believe the warbirds had already been made, I doubt they were just made a few weeks ago or even a month ago, but were always intended to be released for the giant majority of gamers who have never ventured into a simulator before. MS Flight's walk into the world of gaming is a breath of fresh air, I believe. A new endeavor to expand flight simulation beyond the tiny spotlight usually aimed at the small niche group of us simulator fans (and I do believe that flight simulation is puny compared to the overall world of gaming)

Happing flying!

I don't know why these are posting twice, please delete duplicate, moderator. thanks.

Yup, I love warbirds too. I love watching them at airshows. I love the smell of oil and fuel etc. I love MS Flight, aircraft sims and PC gaming.

But, I don't like cockpitless aircraft and flying in third-person view.

I think "It would be cool..." if MS built complete aircraft, rather than pocket-money gimmicks.

Yeah, I feel like I'm putting on my own airshow by practicing airbatics in fly-by view. The external modeling really is superb in Flight. Makes me feel like a kid again.

But, I don't like cockpitless aircraft and flying in third-person view.

I think "It would be cool..." if MS built complete aircraft, rather than pocket-money gimmicks.

True... I can't disagree with you there.

Though on the other hand MS Flight is not made for simmers like you and me. It is made for people who aren't familiar with flight simulation or just don't have the time for working instruments such as an FMC, or the overhead panel.

Chino Planes of Fame is just five miles from my home.

Oh man, lucky! I have to see that place someday. I'm achin' to see an Airacobra.

I think it's rather pointless to complain, because 1) I don't feel a sense of entitlement, 2) gaming and simulators and computer for that matter are a technology blessing (something, I think people take for granted nowadays)....I love it for it's escapism....I hope to, or at least try to, push and prod people not to diss MS Flight so soon or so much....Happing flying!

Great post, great videos too, and good to see you enjoying the game and being positive about it...

Makes a very welcome change from many of the comments that others seem compelled to share.

I loved Chino when I lived in So-Cal. I even did a big of work with Steve Hinton (owner of most of the aircraft) on a few TV shows and aircraft. Great times. That place is just magical for warbird fans.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Guest Antlab
MS Flight's walk into the world of gaming is a breath of fresh air, I believe. A new endeavor to expand flight simulation beyond the tiny spotlight usually aimed at the small niche group of us simulator fans (and I do believe that flight simulation is puny compared to the overall world of gaming)

Happy for your enjoyment, but I suspect that this enthusiastic judgement about the "freshness" of Flight is not much diffused these times.

By reading the comments everywhere on the web, including the official MS pages, and the first statistical data, it really doesn't seem the Flight is "expanding" the previous flight sim market.

And sincerely I have some difficult in understanding which are the real novelties, considering that:

- the "flying on some islands" idea is worn by use in games of all types

- for military warbirds, there are countless of richer games, form arcade to hard simulation

- the missions up to now are quite plain, without any character development, in my opinion inferior to those provided by FSX, for example

- the price, once calculated a few DLC, quickly becomes superior to many "all-included" alternatives

A.

By reading the comments everywhere on the web, including the official MS pages, and the first statistical data, it really doesn't seem the Flight is "expanding" the previous flight sim

You might be right A, but having spoken now to quite a few 'new entrants' none of them appear to be readers of or contributors to online fora - they have heard of Flight via 'word-of-mouth' and are checking out its potential...

If I meet anyone online looking for a more complete airline 'experience' I always recommend FSX (if they have a gaming PC) but if they are after a simulator of low level flight with some navigational potential then I help them understand what Flight is about and what it could become...

Guest Antlab

You might be right A, but having spoken now to quite a few 'new entrants' none of them appear to be readers of or contributors to online fora - they have heard of Flight via 'word-of-mouth' and are checking out its potential...

If I meet anyone online looking for a more complete airline 'experience' I always recommend FSX (if they have a gaming PC) but if they are after a simulator of low level flight with some navigational potential then I help them understand what Flight is about and what it could become...

Yes, I think your conduct is quite correct, and probably useful for many newcomers.

Just out of curiosity, did you notice if they usually tend to come back often, or do you see more sporadic presences? This would be interesting to understand if they are "hooked" after the initial tests.

A.

...would be interesting to understand if they are "hooked" after the initial tests...

Indeed. It's hard to say just how hooked they might be... The guy I was flying with yesterday, bought the other islands AND the Maule after just 20 mins of flying with me in his Stearman. I had been in 'police' RV and forgot just how slow the Stearman was until I realised he had dropped back a mile and a half - oops! Time to orbit, while he catches up.

Once he had the Maule he was impressed by its performance and was later really enjoying the views down over Honolulu. I think he was probably hooked. This evening I was flying with a guy from Cornwall. He had also just bought the islands and the RV, but had not heard of these forums. And when I asked him about 'FSX', he didn't know what that was. When I explained, he said he had seen it, but never owned it... We chatted (texted) for a while about using a mic (he could hear me fine) and then we went our separate ways...

Just little things, but if enough of us do them, I believe we can welcome another generation into these games...