Sign in to follow this  
kcmo

How do I turn Auto-Rudder off?

To my understanding, I have all the flight aids turned off yet all my turns are always coordinated (with my feet off the pedals).

Yeah, the ball on the turn-bank flops around a little but basically stays centered.

Any config setting I've missed?

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar with rudder pedals.

My rudder pedals DO have an effect in the game. They are especially needed to keep centered on take-off for example.

OK, i had an issue where the rudder axis was assigned twice. One on the stick, the other one on the pedals.

Make sure to delete the 2nd assignment in the options.

What plane? RV-6? One of our posters has a real one and called it a "feet flat on the floor" plane as adverse yaw in turns is minimal.

Try flying the Maule. Ignore the ball and look out the window during the initial bank, check the ball during the turn.

The RV-5 does not display much adverse yaw (the tendency of a plane to yaw in the direction opposite of your bank when rolling into a turn), the Icon does a bit, the Stearman a bit more and the Maule a lot.

In a turn some planes need a bit of rudder, others don't. If you don't give rudder in the Maule, you'll roll out of the turn.

Edit: you'll notice in the Stearman the ball is a lot easier to read, and is a bit off-center during a turn.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Well, two things I'm expecting to see:

- The PT-17 should be a bear to turn unless you've got rudder cranked in.

- At high angle of attack at full throttle, I should expect on most planes to need some right rudder to keep the ball centered.

Not a big thing - it just makes it more fun for me if I can take out the auto stability. I'll try Heimi's suggestion.

Edit: Okay, just saw LHookins post. I must have something miss-configured on my end!

Speaking very generally here, the Stearman, like most airplanes without very high aspect ratio wings shouldn't have that much rudder input if any once the ailerons are neutralized and the turn is established with back pressure in a cruise configuration.

There's also a tendency in the Flight Stearman to increase the bank in a turn when the rudder is centered.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

There wasn't anything wrong with the way I had my joysticks configured but I did try it again and, yeah, I guess I do see the ball creep to the inside of the turn a bit when my feet are off the pedals. To me it seems so slight as to be negligable but I have to admit it takes a bit of rudder pressure to center it that little bit.

The important thing is knowing I don't have an incorrect setup.

I leave it to you active pilots to judge whether the modeling is good.

Thank you all for the help!

Okay, NOW i see what you guys have been enjoying. I've been trying to make sense out of the the PT-17 but I'm thinking the flight model is dumbed down. However, I just tried the Maule and RV-6A for my first real test ride. They are great! Much more attention given to adverse yaw in turns and "P" factor on climbout.

My respect for this game just went up a couple of notches!