Sign in to follow this  
denver69

Freeze at pause then CTD

Guest firehawk44

Does not the XMP interfeer with other stuff though?

It has worked great for me. I have not seen any BSOD's or CTD's with the X.M.P. profile.

I am willing to go down to 1333 for stability because it makes no noticable difference in FSX for me. Should I set all the other stuff like CAS to the manufacturers settings? Is that what I am looking at in CPUZ is the manufacturers settings or the Auto derived settings?

NickN, in his article about Setting Up FSX and Tuning It, actually recommends the lowest frequency and timings for FSX. I set all the CAS settings as shown in the CPU-Z (the manufacturers settings). Under the Memory Tab of the CPU-Z shows the timings as shown in the BIOS. You can leave them at Auto IF the CAS settings on the left are the proper settings/timings. I think you can also set your frequency to Auto vs 1333 MHz as long as you go down in the BIOS and make sure the DRAM voltage is set to no higher than 1.50. I think this is the problem ASUS has with Auto frequency settings. It can't manage that voltage setting automatically too. If you set it manually, you'll know it won't go any higher or lower and you're staying within the parameters of the memory manufacturer.

Best regards,

Jim

My profile is set to Manual so I can overclock the multi. I think if I set it to XMP it will change all that right? Right now it is manual. This is the "AI overclock tuner".

So far I have not had any more crashes after upping my CPU voltage so I think I will call it good with the memory settings unless I get another similar crash. I confirmed my DRAM voltage is at 1.50 so the auto setting could be fine. CPUZ says 1333mhz with the auto setting anyway. A few have recommended using auto or 1333 with FSX. The auto setting seems to give me 1333 anyway. I do not think it automatically changes this from what I read. Other than automatically selecting 1333. All other DRAM timings with primary, secondary and tertiary are set to auto and I think these work in a similar fashion(will not raise or lower them out of the blue)???. There are numbers to the left of each selection window in the BIOS under DRAM timings and I gather those are the manufacturers recommended numbers if one chooses to not use the auto setting and yes they match CPUZ. I am a little confused why ASUS would give you the auto settings, is this because in case one wants to overclock the base clock and hence bring up all these settings in synch?

Anyway I think it was a CPU voltage issue other than the spontaneous reboot I have 2 days ago during some slew testing with the ultralight. I think I may be on the cusp with FSX with overloading. When in the ultralight and slewing around there is just to much scenery in view whereas in the NGX the view is very limited out the windows and it can handle that. Maybe something is telling me to switch to P3d.

It is so confusing, what is this JADEC stuff with different settings. This is like like learning a whole new language to get this stuff down correctly, hence me wanting to leave as much as possible at auto/stock settings.

Thank you

Guest firehawk44

It is so confusing, what is this JADEC stuff with different settings. This is like like learning a whole new language to get this stuff down correctly, hence me wanting to leave as much as possible at auto/stock settings.

I totally agree. Very confusing. JEDEC Solid State Technology Association sets the standards for memory so that all memory makers are on the same bandwagon. It looks like you have JEDEC 4 set up for your timings. You can use Auto but I wouldn't. I did at first when I first set up my current system and it simply did not work well. Yes, system stability testing showed my system was very stable. No crashes. It goes like this for two or three weeks then I suddenly get an NTDL.dll error or a BSOD. What the hay? What's wrong now? So I go in and manually set all the settings for my memory and the system has remained stable with no crashes for over a year. Like I said before or elsewhere, I read ASUS is not very good at running Auto settings for the memory. You will definitely, positively get a BSOD or CTD eventually if you use the AI Tuner and overclock in that method.

Best regards,

Jim

That is very good information Jim. The primary timings I can use instead of auto from the CPUZ but the secondary and tertiary timings would have to be read from the numbers to the left of the input boxes in the UFI correct? In other words CPUZ does not show these timings, only the primary. I am still confused about these numbers. Are they what the auto setting is using (setting) or are they the manufactures numbers recommended in case the user does not want to use auto? Do they need to change as one changes the data rate? So I down clock to 1333 do any of these change? It would be very easy to just copy these numbers into all the setting boxes blindly that they correspond to but I just need to have a better understanding of what I am doing. Or do I just need to set the primary settings like 9,9,9,24,1t etc and leave the rest on auto. Speaking of 1t the BIOS has 2t but CPUZ says 1t. So there are some confusing aspects here and I just worry about creating another problem. There are so many of these settings and I am just clueless on what they all do but if I can just safely use the number or setting between the setting window and title of the thing I am setting than that is easy. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for taking the time for them.

Marc

Guest firehawk44

In other words CPUZ does not show these timings, only the primary.

Correct. The timings on the SPD tab of the CPU-Z = primary timings as shown in the memory modules installed. The ones on the left side in the BIOS memory timing page = what the board is seeing. I place these numbers in the right boxes instead of Auto. That way they stay that way and no other setting in the BIOS can occasionally change these settings and maybe cause a crash. I only fill in the primary CAS settings. Everything below that I leave as Auto. If you change the memory frequency from 1600 MHz to 1333 MHz, the timings will definitely change. The most important setting in the BIOS in regards to memory is the DRAM voltage setting. Setting it above 1.50 or Auto will cause problems eventually. Maybe not for several weeks or months but eventually. That's why I changed this setting from Auto to 1.65 volts (my memory allows 1.65 volts for the X.M.P. Profile). Leaving all your settings to Auto is fine. ASUS allows this but I'm just saying I read ASUS boards do not do a very good job managing memory modules in the BIOS. If you ever have a BSOD or CTD, this is the first thing you should look at and possibly change. I am no expert on memory settings and this is just information I have learned over the past year reading articles around the Internet. I was very, no, extremely confused a year ago about memory settings. Over in the Hardware Forum here at AVSIM you will find the real experts. Some of them talk about memory settings as if they invented it. I suspect the key to memory settings is to make sure the memory does not overheat or electrical spikes cause higher voltages. I think if you have it set to Auto, your chances of a higher voltage occasionally is possible.

Speaking of 1t the BIOS has 2t but CPUZ says 1t.

If you are able to put 1t or 2t in the CMD box, congratulations. I have never been able to do so and I can find no one on the Internet who has been successful. I leave this box Auto or enter the number 2 (for 2T). If the BIOS is saying 1t, I would leave it at that by putting Auto in the right box. Don't think that will matter.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks again Jim. You are the resident FSX CTD master. I will take you up on the advice. So far so good with upping the CPU voltage just a hair. I had it stuck in my head that if there was not enough I would either get a BSOD or good to go in any stress tester like Prime. But FSX is it's own beast.