Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mr340

FSX- Window 7 Ultimate 64 VS Window Vista 64?

Hi i always wanted to know what is the difference between having fsx in window vista 64 bit or window 7 ultimate 64 bit. I have notice that almost everyone runs window 7 ultimate 64 bit for fsx. An i want to know why? What are the advantage when running window 7 ultimate 64 bit , than when running window vista 64 ? I know performance is based on the CPU Processore an GPU also . But if have all that what can window ultimate 64 bit do for me ? Does it improve the graphic i bit or something . Why do most people here an all around AVSIM run Window 7 Ultimate for FSX?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

I run just Windows7 Home Edition 64bit. More than enough for what I need. Given the choice between Vista and Win7, there is absolutely no reason to use Vista. Too many annoying and persistent problems with it, and Win7 is as solid as a rock.

64 bit versions of windows (or any OS for that matter) are relevant when your system has 4GB of RAM or more (up to 166GB for non-industrial, home-based systems!) as 64 bit systems can access the extra memory, whereas 32 bit systems can use only up to a maximum of 3GB of RAM, and no more.

are you considering upgrading from vista to win7? I don't think you'll see much difference within fsx. It might help with other programs though. Like treetop said, it's solid as a rock.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

35%
    $8,760.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now