Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vc10man

X-Plane CRJ-200

X-Plane's CRJ-200 is available for 50% off at Aerosoft until the 20th May 2012

Yup, just took a punt on this one. Not tried it out yet though.

Al

Hi Al. Am tempted but do not have the X-Plane 10 and missed a golden opportunity to purchase it reduced from £60 to £45 at Game in Arndale, Manchester, which, alas, is now no more.

How complicated is the X-Plane sim to learn? Being fairly experienced in MSFS, would the transition be smooth or is it s steep learning curve? I have heard that compared to FSX it is rock stable, is that true?

Is that the offer that is no more, or Game? I know they went belly up, but I was unsure whether the shop itself might go up for sale as a going concern.

I paid full whack for XP10 on the day it came out Rick (getting damn near 100 quid with postage), but on the whole I think it was worth it, if nothing else to show that I still want a decent complex sim and am not satisfied with MS Flight's fluffy lightness as my own simulator of choice, although in fairness, I do welcome the fact that Flight has certainly pulled many new flight simmers into the fold.

Bad points: The learning curve is mostly limited to figuring out what camera views you want on what keys - but I know I'm not alone in being an FS dude who wasn't exactly in love with having to arse around with that aspect to get things manageable (it is far better in FS, simply more intuitive), but, once you have that figured, it's no tougher than FS to use.

I'm not exactly thrilled with having to have the DVD in the drive to have it not revert to demo mode either (hopefully someone will buttonhole Austin Meyer about that at that Avsim Town Hall meeting, possibly me if I get the chance). The GUI is as appallingly bad as it ever was too of course, looking like something from Airline Simulator on DOS. Laminar have said they plan to address that though; as it stands, it is functional, but there is no rule which says something that is functional has to look like something for DOS 3.1.

You need decent payware aircraft to get decent flight modeling, the default ones are attrociously bad in spite of claims to the contrary in regard to all that blade element theory b*******. The airports are all there in terms of taxiways and runways, but they are for the most part bereft of buildings, so it is something which needs love from payware or freeware developers in that regard as most places I land at look like something from The Time Machine at the moment. The much vaunted FPS advantage over FSX is true, but you can still bring it down to 1FPS if you crank everything up.

The good points. When everything is cranked up it looks great, and you are correct, it is steady as a rock on Win 7 64 Bit. Graphically, the lighting is far superior to that of FS and things such as sloped runways mean it is also a lot better where ground operations are concerned too. Thus it is probably the way forward for flight simmers, since as interesting as P3D is, it is not a commercial entertainment venture, and so with XP10 that's kind of funny in some respects, because it is a bit like going back to FS98 in terms of the lack of a vast amount of add-on aircraft with every feature you'd want and the lack of many airports I'd like to have. This means that it will probably be at least another iteration of X-Plane before FSX users start looking at it and genuinely thinking the grass is greener over there.

Nevertheless, I now have three payware aircraft for it, the 787, the DC-3 and this CRJ, and they are all quite nice and fly as well as anything similar which you'd find in FS, even that 787, which is unashamedly a 'lite' offering. With Aerosoft, Carenado and PMDG having nailed their colours to the mast in saying that they are going to go with it (although we've yet to see how that actually transpires for PMDG), I think it is something most serious simmers ought to at least dip their toes into, and the fact that some great add-ons such as Air Hauler are available for it give it a bit more pull for me too.

Now that Austin has the ball in his court and does not have to play second fiddle to MSFS in terms of where he wants to go, I think it's up to him and his team to show us that they can really take things to the next level. XP10 is not that next level, but it is potentially a pointer toward how XP11 really could be the next level if it remains compatible with XP10 where add ons are concerned, because by that time, there will probably be a fair amount of stuff for it airport-wise, and especially when MS apear to have lobbed the baby out with the bathwater with Flight.

Al

Thank you, Al, for as per usual an in depth response that ticks all the boxes. So, now I'm left with 'H...mmm'

Well, when I was in Game in Arndale, Manchester, last week(an 80-mile round trip for me)it was no more, and nobody had a clue where they had moved to. I now feel kicking myself for not picking it up when I first spotted it last month but was waiting for one or two reviews to kick in and little did the probable closure of Game come to the fore even though an IT publication I subscribe to had alluded to issues about stock may be causing trading issues. Little did I think it'd be gone. Must try the one in Wigan which is far better than my nil-stocked local remnant left-over.