Sign in to follow this  
Kengi

Crude Humor and Mild Violence

I just noticed the ESRB rating for Flight warns about "Crude Humor and Mild Violence".

Really?

I have flipped the bird at my anal retentive cargo master a few times for telling me how to fly my plane, but he doesn't seem to mind. Of course I don't have a Microsoft Kinect, so he can't actually see me doing it. I suppose that could be considered crude, but not really humorous.

The program doesn't seem to have a key for pushing him out of the plane from 10,000 feet, so I'm not sure where the mild violence comes in. Did they rate the same program I'm using?

When I realized I could walk around outside of the aircraft the first thing that crossed my mind was this could be made into Grand Theft Airplane, but no matter how hard I looked, I never found stashes of weapons hidden around the landscape. Did the ESRB find the stash I've been looking for?

I think "mild violence" is grouped up with "crude humor" so you cant list one without the other. Some of the VO dialog can be seen as "crude humor" and that automatically comes with "mild violence".

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I don't know, some of the crashes I've had were pretty violent, especially some of the waterfall Aerocaches - I'm to lazy to get out and walk, and in Hawaii, RV6's seem to grow on trees.

Crashing an airplane isn't mild violence?

In a Wile E. Coyote sort of way.edit Kerberos42 beat me to it.

MVGibbage, on the ESRB site "Crude Humor" is a separate content descriptor. "Mild Violence" isn't technically a content descriptor, but is allowed in the "Everyone" rating. I have seen games with a violence warning alone without a crude humor warning. I guess I just haven't heard anything I would consider to be crude humor from any of the in-game dialog that didn't originate from me.

As for the crashes, I don't think FSX ever got the "Mild Violence" descriptor. In Flight crashes, the planes seem indestructible. They bounce around and tumble, but so do gymnasts and they (usually) aren't considered violent. There's certainly no appearance of violence. In fact, I seem to get the exact same plane with the exact same fuel after a crash, so how violent could the crash have been?

I suppose I just don't have the same notion of violence as others...

Thanks for clerification, and I guess crashing an aircraft into something can in some way be considered "mild violence".

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I just checked out some ratings for football games, and they don't even seem to get the "Mild Violence" tag. Nor baseball games that allow players to be hit by wild pitches. I certainly wouldn't expect them to be tagged as violent by my definition, but it further puzzles me as to why flight was considered a violent game.

in Hawaii, RV6's seem to grow on trees

I bet LuisFelizTirado could tell you what kind of tree that would be.

I'm sure someone could be offended by vomiting/screaming/sulking passengers if they tried really hard.

As for the crashes, I don't think FSX ever got the "Mild Violence" descriptor. In Flight crashes, the planes seem indestructible. They bounce around and tumble, but so do gymnasts and they (usually) aren't considered violent. There's certainly no appearance of violence. In fact, I seem to get the exact same plane with the exact same fuel after a crash, so how violent could the crash have been?

Actually, FSX Acceleration was rated E 10+ for mild violence...

Maybe MS just labelled it that way to get more interest from the Jr High schoolers. :biggrin:

Most likely :LMAO:

Actually, FSX Acceleration was rated E 10+ for mild violence...

Hmm. I never bought Acceleration. What was different about it that FSX was rated E without even a content descriptor, yet Acceleration was bumped up to E10+? Did it allow you to drop bombs or fire missiles?

Guys, don't forget the pissers - that's gotta count for potty humor! Just%20Kidding.gif

Best regards.

Luis

Crashed a plane in real life, so I'm getting a kick out of this thread :-)!

sigPicF8.jpg

Crashed a plane in real life, so I'm getting a kick out of this thread :-)!

Did the FAA give you a "Crashtastic" achievement award? Sorry for my crude humor. I guess my post should be E10+.

After 3 months I am pretty convinced that crude humor and mild violence refers to the marketing plan of Flight together with the series of non-cockpit warbirds

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"