Sign in to follow this  
lfb

FSX adding polys to my photo scenery

I have created scenery using SBuilderx for the area around the Colorado River near my residence.

I have made water masks and it looks very nice.

The problem is, depending on the time of day, that polys appear on the verticle surfaces

of the mountains and hills. These polys are not part of the photo tiles. It looks bad.

The tiles are 1.1 m per pixel and the scenery is placed above the default scenery.

Is there a way to eliminate this from happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry B

Hello Larry,

Could you please show screenshots of the problem? And also indicate your texture settings in game, Thanks.

Best regards.

Luis

Luis

My first time trying to upload a file.

Hope it works.

Larry

Thanks, Larry, fascinating problem. You are sure that the custom textures are 1 m/pixel so the generic ground tiles should not be displaying. I notice that they only show on gradients, and this is a new issue to me.

Could you try backing down on your texture resolution to 1 m/pixel and see if there is any change? I seem to remember that pushing that setting to its maximum does create problems of different sorts.

Best regards.

Luis

Luis

Changed my texture resolution to 1 meg with the same problem.

Using sbuilderx I downloaded the tiles with the zoom level 16. I think these are 1 meter tiles.

I have some photo scenery from megasceneryx and bluesky without this problem.

I am sure that something is missing from my scenery. Perhaps an exclude file.

I have tried several exclude and polygon exclude files with no resolution.

I am new at this and only use sbuilderx program.

I have done about a hundred miles of the Colorado river, with watermasks (lots of time spent

on this) and it looks very good other than the problem I have mentioned.

If I fly in the morning the problem is not so bad. Later in the day it gets worse.

Larry

Excuse me, Larry, I don't really know the cause of this problem; it is the first time I have seen it. I am sure that you have downloaded high-resolution images although they don't look very detailed in the screenshot, probably because it is not very large.

Could you please load the scenery in TMFViewer and check the Maximum Level of Detail:

Not that this is necessarily the issue, just a check. Thanks.

Normally, custom (photo-real) ground textures will always display over the generic ground tiles; there is no need for an exclusion of any sort. The only exception is when the custom ground is of lower resolution than the default.

Best regards.

Luis

Luis

My TMFViewer shows LOD 4 through 15.

Thought I was downloading LOD 16.

Thank you for all the help.

Regards,

Larry

Do you know, Larry? I don't think that LOD 15 should display generic tiles on the gradients either.

Just one more thing - have you also reduced the Mesh Resolution when you reduced the Texture Resolution? Perhaps you should try setting those at the Default values and see if that changes anything.

Best regards.

Luis

Do you know, Larry? I don't think that LOD 15 should display generic tiles on the gradients either.

I think it might if the water mask covers the land and he is not using your revised terrain.cfg?

George

Hello:

I used to get this FSX swapping out of steep hillside / mountainside rock slope gradient textures, and occasionally of ground textures over comparatively flat areas in OrbX FTX PNW on a number of apparent custom texture polygons within the visual display radius of my aircraft until I optimized my system and began using the D3D Antilag FPS Limiter utility and Pete Dowson's "fixed" version of FSUIPC which IIUC, allows FSX to ignore consequences of certain internal errors when they occur and achieve thereby better rendering throughput.

FYI: I have consistently had the FSX Terrain.Cfg modified by Luis Feliz-Tirado / Dick Ludowise, Ultimate Terrain, OrbX and others in place at all times when this happened, and I don't think it was contributing to this.

I would either get water, or in some cases I would get a very low LOD land / water texture of very large (nearly continent-sized !) texture images of non-local world regions displayed within those apparent custom polygons.

The susceptibility for this happening seems to have decreased as later OrbX service packs for the PNW area were released, but that may be a coincidence with my having done some system hardware upgrades since then.

At the time, I speculated that my under-powered FSX system throughput was "falling behind" in various rendering loops, could not resolve the mapped custom polygon terrain textures (listed in the modified Terrain.Cfg ?) quickly enough, thus failing to display land over the core globe of water which IIRC underlies all FS scenery layers, and was instead substituting either water or low-LOD default terrain textures.

Perhaps a form of FSX performance-related "content clipping" under load ? :Thinking:

I'm not sure what the ultimate cause actually was on my system, but I thought I'd share my experiences here in the discussion of this somewhat comparable set of symptoms.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

I'd certainly like to know how to do this. Is there a good tutorial for creating photorealistic scenery? Also, sources for bitmaps and the altitude info?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

... on a number of apparent custom texture polygons within the visual display radius of my aircraft

I think the OP is referring to photo-textures rather than custom landclass.

I think the OP is referring to photo-textures rather than custom landclass.

Hi George:

Thanks, I do see that the OP apears to be using photoreal textures generated via the SBuilderX utility (and I presume therefore, ultimately using FSX SDK Resample). :Peace:

Although AFAIK Resample-generated photoreal is technically another form of "custom land class", it is rather intriguing that the OP has this appearing primarily in areas where default / generic slope textures would otherwise normally NOT be displayed because such photoreal textures are always supposed to display with "top priority" except as described by Luis above (if OP's textures were actually Resample-generated !). :Nerd:

However, if by any chance the OP's custom defined photoreal landclass textures might have somehow been assigned to texture polygons via FSX Terrain.Cfg using lower rendering priority parameters, one might wonder if that might allow this unusual superimpostion of default water on top of the photreal textures. :Thinking:

But I suppose rather than engage in extensive forensic examination of texture files and *.INF files etc. to see what happened when the OP's photreal textures were generated this time around, it might be best for Larry B. to carefully repeat the entire FSX photoreal scenery creation process in close compliance with Luis Feliz-Tirado's excellent tutorial (which was so kindly linked to above). :smile:

Regards,

GaryGB

Luis

I have changed my scenery to default values.

Mesh Resolution from 10m to 38m

Texture Resolution from 7cm to 1m

No change in problem.

I have tried all of my other 1 meter photo scenery (megasceneryx, megascenery earth, Blue Sky, etc.

I see no display of generic tiles on the gradients.

It seems to occur only with my photo scenery.

I have created scenery using SBuilderX at LOD 16. TMF viewer shows LOD 6 through 16.

Example shown below.

Larry