Sign in to follow this  
Les Hintz

Airport Question from an Old Man!

I am seeing posts of many many Alaska airports. Unfortunately when I look at

the map display I see maybe a dozen. I am running a 32 bit machine which I understands limits scenery density, but it also make my airports go away also???

Thanks for any help and fly on!

Les

And don't just zoom once or twice until you see some more: zoom in a LOT...! To find some of those isolated small airports that are out there in the wilderness, I often have to zoom in until I see nothing but one shade of green and then (if the airport isn't there) I have to zoom completely out again to see where I am (because you completely lose track of where you are when you zoom in) and this I often have to do several times before I find an airport. The map er.... isn't too good. :wink:

If you want to see it get really crazy, look just north of Anchorage and keep zooming the map in until it's at max zoom.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I'd rather use this map...

themap.gif

Everyone, after me: I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the maaaap.....

(sorry, Jeroen..I've been wanting to draw this comparison for a while)..

The map is starting actually annoy me, now..I shouldn't have to use Plan-G (though I like it) I shouldn't really have to use Gmap, either..(though I like that too..roll-on the iPad version!

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

The map is starting actually annoy me, now..I shouldn't have to use Plan-G (though I like it) I shouldn't really have to use Gmap, either..(though I like that too..roll-on the iPad version!

I only visit the map at the start of the game. I have no other option. To me it's nothing more than an option menu. In fact, that's all it is. It's not meant to be used as a map for navigation... it's an 'enhanced' options menu.

True. But we should be able to use it properly..It hampers mission/job organisation..Having to use a 3rd party program spoils the immersion a little..It culd be a valuable tool if a little more time was spent on it..Some simple additions..

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

It makes more sense to me to believe that Flight doesn't have a map at all. That's a graphical menu. It worked as a map in Hawaii, but it'll never work as a map in Alaska. There are several things that Microsoft could do to make it into a usable map, but it still won't be available on jobs and missions... only because of the additional menu functions there.

My workaround is to use the top-down view. There's enough information there to allow you to navigate fairly well, although the area is only about 16 nautical miles around the plane. It's especially useful for finding airfields when you know you're close but can't see the thing.

Beyond that I use http://www.vfrmap.com as a chart reference in a browser window. I can alt-tab to that window as necessary. This site is really good for navigation, but doesn't have a flight planning function. I think most people use http://www.skyvector.com for that, although it doesn't seem to show more than one sectional map at a time. You can search for airports mentioned on the job board in vfrmap (and skyvector), but the sites don't always find a match. For finding rogue airports that don't show up on those sites, PlanG is perfect.

A lot of people will prefer the GMap program to substitute for a GPS. I personally don't prefer it in its present state. At least you can import a flight plan made in FSX/FS9 or PlanG. For now I'm enjoying not having a true GPS function, and having to find my location on the vfrmap charts. The top-down view helps a lot, and almost substitutes for a GPS.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

My workaround is to use the top-down view.

Agree, Hook; I use this a lot, especially when trying to gauge the correct landing orientation in those hard-to-find strips..I like the way it interacts with the R key, too. Is it really only c. 16NM radius when zoomed out?! Wow..Thought it was much more..

Obv with the pseudo full-screen thing it makes using any 3rd part apps easier..Still wish they'd include a "flight only" version of the "map" for when on jobs..And a directory/search function; and some range rings; and not keep %$%^*! switching the jobs around whenever you exit an airfield and go back in, and all of the jobs have changed (including the one you spent 10 minutes setting up in Plan-G)

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

True. But we should be able to use it properly..It hampers mission/job organisation..Having to use a 3rd party program spoils the immersion a little..It culd be a valuable tool if a little more time was spent on it..Some simple additions..

+1

It makes more sense to me to believe that Flight doesn't have a map at all. That's a graphical menu. It worked as a map in Hawaii, but it'll never work as a map in Alaska. There are several things that Microsoft could do to make it into a usable map, but it still won't be available on jobs and missions... only because of the additional menu functions there.

Beyond that I use http://www.vfrmap.com as a chart reference in a browser window.

+1

About vfrmap: nice one. Forgot about it. I tried using skyvector bu as you say it only shows one map at a time: vfrmap is a lot more convenient in that regard! I managed to get hold of an old (but still working) laptop and I will see if I can navigate by only using vfrmap (after planning the plan in Plan-G).

and not keep %$%^*! switching the jobs around whenever you exit an airfield and go back in, and all of the jobs have changed (including the one you spent 10 minutes setting up in Plan-G)

Before planning the flight, start the job and then pause the game while you plan the flight. :wink: It indeed sucks a little that jobs change all the time.

It makes more sense to me to believe that Flight doesn't have a map at all. That's a graphical menu. It worked as a map in Hawaii, but it'll never work as a map in Alaska.

Hook

Yeah I would agree. If a scale was added it would be better. As for right now I have no idea how far things are.

I use SkyVector for a lot of things. It's not so an immersion issue to me, as I would tend to do the flight planning before I get in the aircraft, especially things like the orientation of the destination runways; terrain heights here, there and in between; should I go around the mountains or over them; are there cool looking valleys in between, etc.

Thanks Hook for the tip on VFRMAP!

It's perfect! I just load it on my tablet and have it next to me, and I can fly and see where the heck I am at the same time!