Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Can't seem to loss speed even with the Spoilers out with AS2012

Spoilers and speedbrakes.

Speedbrake guys: are you not going to use it if you're high? Spoiler guys: are you not going to use it if you're fast?

On the 737, per Boeing's "Jet Transport Methods," they do both. Good book if you can find it.

Matt Cee

Every flight I've ever been on they have used spoilers to reduce speed on approach.

Yes, they help, but they get you from 265 knots to 250 knots. They will not help you in a 6000 feet per minute descent at 290 knots you are doing because you were late turning off the tv and getting back to your computer chair :lol:

Fair enough - but we should remember that we are looking at this from an informed perspective.

Thus the devil's advocate statement. Just to be sure understands what the term means:

It's a person who advocates an unpopular or opposing argument simply for the sake of further investigation. The term does not imply the advocate believes in said argument or cause.

Like I've said in the above posts. I agree with the statements saying that is better re-worded. I simply defended his viewpoint so that people here could see the angle he was approaching it from. That's it.

If a less experienced simmer used this methodology he/she would cause themselves lots of head scratching as his/her NGX departs from the PTH that he/she helped it calculate with a flawed methodology.

Although not relevant to the PMDG Forum an 'FS'ism' or 'PMDG'ism' thread would be fun & probably quite informative.

I agree fully. Like I said in my previous post, I like to stomp out simisms as much as I can (and by extension, not create them). If you look in the post where the video was originally shared, you'll see I commented in there that it is best re-worded well before it showed up over here.

I agree that every effort should be made to illustrate a clear picture to people. Otherwise, we get simisms.

Heck, even the "all knowing" news still refers to ATC as "the tower" 95% of the time. Why? People in aviation oversimplify to avoid scaring people off. From there, people just parrot.

Kyle Rodgers