Sign in to follow this  
Jerad

What would cause airplanes to rock side to side while on AP.

All my planes seem to be rocking side to side while cruising on full Autopilot for some reason. I dont know if it has t do with the config file or what but its a little annoying.

I occasionaly have a similar problem but my planes rock back to front. I have A2A's AccuSim and when disabled, the rocking usually stops for me. If you have AccuSim, you could try that. If not, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

hmmm i dont have accusim so im not sure what my problem is. With some payware planes it even disconnects the autopilot sometimes and crashes the plane.

Two things I can think of. 1) If you're flying VORs the airplane will rock back and forth when it comes to a new radial to get it intercepted. I often switch to heading mode for a few miles until I'm on the new radial. 2) More possibly, you may be experiencing a dutch roll where the wing tip makes a circle. See this vid...

Make sure your yaw damper is on. Yaw dampers work to stop dutch rolls.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Im currently flying east bound across the atlanic, (over newfoundland) Im getting the sideways rocking motion, on the outbound flight yesterday and it was very smooth

The only difference in the two flights is a headwind and tailwind, I currently have a tailwind of 57knts, yesterday I had a headwind of about 28knts. Could this be something to do with it?

Jack Cannon

hmm im going to have to check out if my yaw damper is on actually it does look like it was rolling like that Ive never even heard of that before.

And as for flying VOR - I was flying a complete FMC based route at about FL300 so I was high up. I was also wondering if could have to do with the high altitude.