Sign in to follow this  
newthog

aircraft rolling to the left

flying in Alaska - both Stearman and Icon - aircraft wants to roll to the left. i can either use right aileron trim as a temp fix, or fly with my yoke about 20 degrees to the right.

this has happened the few times i've flown in Alaska - the pack was purchased from Steam.

what I've done - checked config in windows controllers for my Saitek yoke and CH rudder pedals - all good

check input selectors in Flight - all good

shame on me - i haven't tried flying in Hawaii since I installed Alaska - that will be my next step

i have NOT changed any config files, or changed anything since downloading Alaska - the only change has been accepting the default control config files when prompted, but then changing them to my personal preferences in the Flight options menu

any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

This was intentional. It's apparently intended to represent some torque forces from the engine. The developers have stated that you're intended to use trim control to offset it. The only problem is that the trim controls are WAY too coarse. One click it more than twice too much. This was discussed in the beta forum.

Now, in a real aircraft, there are various adjustments to prevent this either designed into the aircraft or added on, whether by the manufacturer or a pilot or mechanic with a mallet.

I get around the problem in the Maule and Cub by burning fuel from the left tank until the weight and roll forces have stabilized. In the Icon and Stearman, you don't have this option. My best advice would be to turn off the torque forces in the gameplay options. I prefer the torque during takeoff and landing, so you may wish to turn the torque off only when at cruise.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

thanks Hook - odd that it wasn't happening before. i'll turn off torque effects and see if that settles it.

odd that it wasn't happening before

It was something new in the last update. It has... not been popular.

Hook

Larry Hookins

It would be very popular, at least with me, if only there was a way to correct for it via trim in cruise flight.

Oh, well. I finally turned off the prop effects myself because I got tired of having to hold a little pressure on the controls all through the entire cruise.

I have only encountered a roll problem once, that was in the Maule and was from uneven fuel tank usage. This sounds like it's more of a flight control issue than a bug.

This sounds like it's more of a flight control issue than a bug.

It was a definite change by the developers. We asked them about it in the beta forum. Actually, we complained about it. You shouldn't have to read much of the Avsim forum to find a lot of people talking about it. It's probably on the Steam forum as well.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I have only encountered a roll problem once, that was in the Maule and was from uneven fuel tank usage. This sounds like it's more of a flight control issue than a bug.

Turn off the prop effects assist and/or mouse-control. :P

No, seriously. In the last Title Update, they changed a lot of factors affecting propeller effects. It was documented on the Steam Forum as an addendum to the patch notes. it's not a flight-controls issue at all. The changes made the left-turning tendency (normal to single-prop aircraft) much more pronounced than it had been up until that point. Which would have been fine, if the aircraft trim controls were fine enough to correct for it, but they are too coarse, with a single click of countering trim resulting in a turn in the opposite direction at twice the rate induced by prop effects at cruise.

Turn off the prop effects assist and/or mouse-control. :P

The prop effects are off and so is the mouse, I use a stick.

Then the Devs would be eagerly awaiting your bug report on why you are not experiencing the normal prop effects everyone else is, if only they were still working on the game.

:blink:

'cos he's got the prop effects off. :wink:

Thanks - that did the trick! Although it's VERY odd not using he rudder when taking off in the Stearman...