Sign in to follow this  

RealAir Lancair Legacy ('enhanced') checklist on one A4

Probably because its easy to get behind when flying.

It's much faster than other GA planes.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Probably because its easy to get behind when flying.

This can explain some but not nearly all Legacy accidents...

See this "Lancair Legacy NTSB Accident Summary": http://lancaironline.net/lists/lml/Message/50095.html?Language=

For those not covered (since early 2009) can be found doing a search in the NTSB Accident Database.

Here's an AOPA blog (Bruce Landsberg) on Lancairs in general (http://blog.aopa.org/leadingedge/?p=58)... I particularly appreciated the second response by Trey Higgins.

This can explain some but not nearly all Legacy accidents...

Yeah, I read up on Legacy safety right after I got it. The accident causes are pretty broad...weather, loss of control low (usually due to abrupt handling low), canopy open, engine failure, fuel starvation. A fair number of the accidents were what might be considered incredibly stupid stuff (flying into level 4/5 thunderstorms, extremely poor visibility). Some of these causes you'd be unlikely to see (certainly to the same degree) in FSX. (I've never been in a bad TS in FSX.) We'd probably also be less likely to try to fly with the canopy open. High time ATP pilots prang it as low time pilots. The one stat that jumps is the fatality rate which is very high...more than 50% of dying if you crash. One article pointed out that the Columbia (similar, I guess, except for the fixed gear) has a much better safety record. One factor they mentioned might be that the Columbia has a much higher percentage of instrument rated pilots. It's not surprising that they're difficult to get insured (like the Cirrus). I wonder if people would make the same decisions if they were flying them without insurance.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

How can I become a member of the Legacy club?  I wasn't aware there was a separate group for owners of the plane. I've tried searching and clicking links but my regular forum password isn't working for that one.

Darrell