Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

Turning center tanks off for takeoff

I just read this in the Operating Manual Volume 1 under normal procedures:

"Check the center tank fuel quantity. Both center tank fuel pump switches must be OFF for takeoff if center tank fuel is less than 5000 pounds/2300 kilograms."

I've never done this, because I didn't realize you were supposed to. Whats the reason for this and did anyone else overlook this as I did?

Would you taxi out with the center pumps on or would you turn them on after takeoff. Honestly I've never heard of this procedure in the real world either, but I assume they do it.

I've always done this (However I am a rare one who read the entire manual), it's related to cooling and lubricating of the pumps from memory, on takeoff wiith high angles of pitch the fuel can expose the center pumps to surging and overheating.

Yes you can have them on during taxi and after take off/large pitch above 1000lbs/450kilos (I do) but I am not sure what airlines SOP do.

More than 1000, less than 5000lbs: On for push/start, off after start, back on at 250knots.

Matt Cee