Sign in to follow this  
qantas747

FSX crashing when on approach

Hey guys,

It seems like when ever I am on approach at around 4000 feet FSX just freezes, then will crash. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it is beginning to become more and more regular. It is quite disheartening to do a 3 hour flight on FSX then to crash as you turn on final. Any ideas guys, as it is really starting to annoy me and haven't completed a full flight in weeks :(

Thanks,

Ollie

Oliver Benton

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

What's the error? Sounds like a classic Out of Memory crash. What are your PC specs? Operating system etc. Hard to diagnose without knowing what's going on.

Some ai addon apps add airports and this can cause the crash on approach, Ive had it in the past with JF taffic X at EGLL, i removed their EGLL and it fixed the crashing, I use UT2 now as it only adds aircraft.

-Paul-

It sounds to me simply a case of CPU overload. As you start to descend towards the ground, in particular an airport, FSX then starts to load the autogen and AI and anything else, that then puts extra strain on the CPU. Also, maybe as Gandy said, if it happens at one particular airport then it may be a problem pertinent to that scenery. If you are running with sliders up high, I would suggest you drop the autogen slider and fly for a while at a lesser setting and see how you get on. If that does not work then you will have to look at individual adddons. I see from viewing your profile that you have not posted your system specs. If you want a little more help, please post those and also your FSX settings and any addons, cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey guys,

These are my specs:

i5-2500K @ 4.5GHZ, ASUS Z68 V/ GEN3 MOBO, MSI GTX-560TI twin frozr II, HAF 922 case, Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo, G-Skill Ripjaws 8GB RAM, Corsair TX-750M PSU, TP-Link WN951N Wireless Adapter

Here are a list of airports where it has happened:

ORBX YMML, YBBN, NZAA in NZNI

It does it normally in the PMDG 737, 747 and also wilco A320.

Sorry that I didn't have my details and stuff up there earlier, I don't go on AVSIM that often.

Cheers,

Ollie

Oliver Benton

Hey guys,

These are my specs:

i5-2500K @ 4.5GHZ, ASUS Z68 V/ GEN3 MOBO, MSI GTX-560TI twin frozr II, HAF 922 case, Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo, G-Skill Ripjaws 8GB RAM, Corsair TX-750M PSU, TP-Link WN951N Wireless Adapter

Here are a list of airports where it has happened:

ORBX YMML, YBBN, NZAA in NZNI

It does it normally in the PMDG 737, 747 and also wilco A320.

Sorry that I didn't have my details and stuff up there earlier, I don't go on AVSIM that often.

Cheers,

Ollie

Hi Ollie, well your system is more than adequate for most scenarios in FSX. However, even the best systems can struggle under certain circumstances. A few questions. How many sticks or RAM do you have? What setting are you running your autogen when this problem arises? Also, do you have any of the Ozx airfields installed for Australia? BTW, do you have any cfg tweaks, if so which?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Hey Howard,

My ram is 2x 4gb sticks. I do believe that my autogen setting is at dense. I also use the ******* tweaks for my CFG. And I also do have OZX installed aswell.

And Randy I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Ollie

Oliver Benton

Can you recall the error when it crashed? Was it an OOM or g3d.dll etc?

Hey Randy,

I can't exactly remember what error it was. All I remember is that FSX freezes, eventually screen goes whitewashed and then comes up with the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X has encountered an error"

I can't exactly remember what error it was, I am just trying to go off memory.

Next time it happens I will take down what it says.

Ollie

Oliver Benton

I think Randy is on the right course. It certainly does not sound to me to be inadequate systems specs, not by a long shot. You are flying at dense so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, it's interesting that yuo say you have Ozx airfields installed, that's why I asked. Some time ago, there were many guys over at Orbx, including myself, reporting FSX crashes with g3d.dll errors. It was suggested that because of the proximity of many of the Ozx airfields that there could have been some rogue scenery files. Anyway, a lot of the evidence pointed to this, so I uninstalled Ozx airfields for Aus and since then I have had no problems. So, it could be the same issue. If it happens elsewhere then I am flummoxed, but it does sound like perhaps it could be scenery related. Perhaps you could do some tests by unticking certain sceneries and see how you get on...

EDIT: The more I think about this, I'd bet a few dollars that if you uninstall or disable Ozx airfileds then the issue will be resolved.

As I remember, it happened to me EVERY time I flew the NGX out of YBBN...

Howard

I am currently away from my FSX computer. Next time I am on it I will have a look, thanks.

Thanks Howard.

Next time I do a flight I will untick the OZX sceneries and do some tests.

Ollie

P.S my fsx crashes when departing YBBN too!

Oliver Benton

P.S my fsx crashes when departing YBBN too!

Yep, YBBN was always the worst for me.

Howard

Ok I deactivated the OZx scenery, and I did a flight today with no problems :) So it seems like it has worked. The only problem that I have now is that because I have deactivated OZx, I no longer get scenery for YSCN (Camden). I do my real world flight training there and use it on FSX quite a bit. Could having OZx activated but lower on the priority list maybe fix the issue but still allow me to have all of the added sceneries?

Thanks

Oliver Benton