Sign in to follow this  
brucek

How to make an FSX movie...

I apologize if this is not the correct forum. What is the best way to make a movie from FSX? I'm not too concerned with titles and/ or effects, this is for personal stuff only, not a blockbuster :). My grandsons ( 7 and 4) have inherited my passion for aviation, and I would like to send them a movie of grandad "flying" something cool...l

Thanks, Bruce.

Here's the link to a discussion about movie making in FSX:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/385379-anyone-know-of-a-good-way-to-record-fsx/

Probably the best utility, an absolute must have (plus it's freeware!), is FSRecorder, I use FRAPS to make a movie from the raw playback of FSRecorder, but there's a lot of other options pointed out in that thread.

Regards,

Flo

Making a movie is easy, making a GOOD movie is time consuming, which are you interested in?

Jay

Thanks Flo and Jay.

@Flo- FSRecorder appears to only work if FGSX is installed unless I use an alpha version that "renders" the video, and even then it doesn't include sound, am I correct?

Also see some other s/w referred to there that I might look at. Thanks.

@Jay- I would think of a "good" movie (having made some movies of vacations from a camcorder in the past) as having credits/titles, maybe some backing music, some effects such as dissolves, etc. I'm not after anything like that, just a video image of what I see when I fly FSX that can be played back on another PC that doesn't need FSX installed, and the sound from FSX (engine, wind, etc.), but nothing fancy. I also see references to FRAPS, which I might look at. Do you have any other recommendations for what I am trying to do?

Thanks again, much appreciate your replies.

Bruce.

Bruce

There are a few recorders out there but I use FRAPS. I have tried some of the others and although FRAPS might give you a FPS hit, you can minimize it but playing with the FSX and/or FRAPS settings. There is a free (limited) version but for the price of the full program it cant be beat. I bought it years ago and I still get free updates from them, they have great support.

To make a simple movie all you need is a recorder like FRAPS, and and editor. I use Adobe Premeire but its expensive. For what you want I would suggest Windows Move Maker...its free and give you plenty of options for compression to keep file sizes down if needed.

Plan your shots before shooting, composition, distance, angles, etc, and only record in short segments to make editing easier. Thats about it since you arent doing graphics etc.

if you need more help, just give me a yell, glad to help

Jay

Thanks Jay, I will try what you suggest and see how I go....

Appreciate the help, thanks, Bruce

Hi Bruce!! Long time no talk to!!

As you may have forgotten I live in Broomfield at about 125th and Lowell Blvd.

I spend a fair amount of time making videos, FSX and others. I would be happy to have you over for a session any time. It's really pretty easy. I have FSRecorder, FRAPS and Adobe Premier Elements in addition to Windows Movie Maker.

Here's a recent video I made of the CS 707 arriving at the Fly Tampa HKG Kai Tak:

https://vimeo.com/47873083

As you know I'm retired with all kinds of time on my hands. It would be fun to get together again. Let me know if you are interested.

Bruce Scott

Hi Bruce,

Good to hear from you, once get through balancing our 2013 budget at work (which is consuming the entire 7 days of each week at the moment), it would be good to catch up. I had forgotten that you had made quite a few movies.

I hope all is well, Bruce (the other one)......

Bruce---- if you would like to get together over here when your schedule permits I can show you what I know and how I do it. I certainly don't consider myself an expert, however I believe I could save you a whole lot of time and frustration. Learning FS video making is a lot tougher any way other than hands on, one on one. Near impossible going back and forth on a forum. I learned it pretty much on my own, but it took years. The actual video making is fairly simple, but tweaking and tuning it to where you are satisfied with the end result is what is more difficult. Anyway, I'll shoot you a pm with my fone# so you can call to set up a get together -- if you want to.

Bruce T.

Thanks Bruce- just home from work for a late dinner! Not much time for simming tonight....

Bruce.