Sign in to follow this  
williamoforange

Scenery Confusion

I have read numerous posts and advice about scenery files and file order, however, I still have not read one that details the way to lay out FSX scenery files in a consistent order.

I was lead to believe (rightly or wrongly) that AFD files need to be at the very top of the list in the scenery folder - here is where my confusion begins.

In my scenery settings I have 3 different AFD files - The first and top of my scenery list is Aerosoft AFD, this is then followed by about 30 listings for various airport add ons - Mega scenery, German Airports etc. until I get down to position 32 where I have another file called "afd" (small case) directly below that, in position 33 I have another file "AFD" in upper case. I really have no idea what they are or if they should be where they are!

Following these I have another load of airports and land class and mesh files, all in no particular order other than arranged using a small utility that orders the scenery into some sort of structure (using the scenery config file)

This continues down to listing 105, where I believe the standard FSX files begin, Edwards AFB .... Longleat etc.

Is there any particular order I need to place the scenery into? Photreal? where should that be?

I know some of my scenery files need Land Class and various files in a certain order and I have tried as best to do this, however, this does not give the entire picture as these are simply recommended groups for one product rather than for the entire scenery.

Eg. My Switzerland X requires the scenery for Switzerland X to be in the following descending order;

85: CHPROX LANDMARKS

86: CHPROX_Apts

87: CHPROX_Scen

88: CHPROX_APTS_Elev

What I don't understand is where this group should fit in with relation to other scenery files, i.e. should it be above or below Mega Scenery Las Vegas, should it be above or below photo real? Does it really matter?

I know it matters a great deal with some scenery, as depending upon the file order there can be missing runways, floating runways, roads going through airfields etc.

Do any of you knowledgeable people have a straight forward step by step ordering structure that will be failsafe for scenery?

The last point is whenever you add a new scenery file, it seems it is simply stuck on at the top of the list, which sort of blows the AFD file order out of the window unless you actively go in and reorder.

Thanks

The only time priority matters is when you have multiple Scenery Library entries for the same geographical area.

Switzerland's position in relation to Las Vegas is a non-issue as they will have no impact on each other.

With the exception of addons that have specific ordering requirements, you can organize your Scenery Library any way you want.

The bottom line is that unless you are having a problem somewhere don't worry about it, just go fly.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The only time priority matters is when you have multiple Scenery Library entries for the same geographical area.

Switzerland's position in relation to Las Vegas is a non-issue as they will have no impact on each other.

With the exception of addons that have specific ordering requirements, you can organize your Scenery Library any way you want.

The bottom line is that unless you are having a problem somewhere don't worry about it, just go fly.

regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe! That is probably the best answer I could have hoped for!