Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Solution to ONT2012 service vehicle texture problem

Fans of Shez Ansari's fantastic scenery ONT2012 (and his earlier ONT2006) may recall problems many reported in this forum about vechicles, mostly the catering/service trucks at the gates (a few also reported trouble with the FedEx trucks at the FedEx terminal). I was among thoses having these problems.

Poor Shez was beside himself at point being completely stumped by this (as we all were!). I, myself, gave up hope of anyone finding a solution and went back to Shez's ONT2006 (which, like all of Shez's scenery, knows no equals in my opinion). FS9 runs I need a new system as FS9 is reduced to single digit fpms on my poor 2.2Ghetz single core 2006 system when I try to load scenery rich airports like ONT2012...

But, I digress. I recently downloaded Rob Touchtone's excellent KGRR_2012 (Grand Rapids, MI) scenery and discovered that it's catering/service trucks at the gates were also not showing their textures. I contacted Rob who graciously sent me two files, db_truck_lib.zip and db_truck_fix.zip, by Drew Bunning. Both files are avaiable on AVSIMS' FS9 scenery design library. The former contains two files the author inadvertantly left out of the latter. The latter is also available as "dbtruklb.zip" on Flightsim.com.

After copying the contents of the scenery folder to the Addon Scenery's scenery folder and likewise copying the contents of the texture folder to the Addon Scenery's texture folder the textures for the catering/service trucks at KGRR now appear (except for the truck at gate B-10). At this point I recalled the similar problem with ONT2012 and had a "I wonder if..." moment. I reinstalled ONT2012, loaded a saved flight at KONT and. low and behold, found the catering/service trucks now had their textures, too! Talk about killing two birds (and possibly more in this case)...! So far as I've been able to see, in ONT2012 ALL the catering/service trucks now display their textures.

I promptly fired off an email to Shez to report this wonderful news. Shez asked me to pass it on to everyone here....enjoy! Hats off, again, to both Shez and Rob for their outstanding sceneries!

Somewhere you have a copy of the object library .bgl in an active scenery folder that does not have the required textures in the paired texture folder.

This is why it is a bad idea for scenery designers to include these readily available object libraries in their addon packages.

I bet if you do a file search for *db_truck_lib*.bgl you will find the culprit.

I also bet I know who the designer is that authored the scenery you will find it in.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Joe, both your first comment and the second make no sense at all. In fact, including these object libraries, or at least informing users where they could be found saves users a lot of grief such as what we (and Shez) all went through trying to figure out why the textures for the catering/service trucks weren't showing up. This makes your statement that it is a bad idea for scenery designers to include object libraries like these with their scenery truly nonsenscial (at least to me).

Did you read my entire post? I explained how to find both db_truck_lib.zip and db_truck_fix.zip!. I also mentioned the name of the author of both files (Drew Bunting) in the post. As to your bet, I'd advise against it (what possible bearing does it have on anything, anyway?)...

Yes, I read your entire post.

Yes, I fully understand what caused the problem and how you fixed it.

Yes, English is my first language.

Did you do the search as I recommended?

This problem of objects missing their textures is the result of an addon you have somewhere that includes the .bgl for the trucks and is missing some of the textures called by that .bgl, in the paired texture folder.

I am happy you have fixed it.

Wish I was aware of the problem months ago, I could have fixed it for you way back when.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

Joe,

Entering "Drew Bunting" in the search window will bring up the db_truck_library.zip file. For some reason you have to enter "db_truck_fix.zip" to find the other file (no idea why did doesn't come up in the first case. It ought to)!

I suspected that otheres might have stumbled across this solution already, but since Shez asked me to post my or, rather Rob's, solution, I was all too happy to do so (especially since he had bent over backwards trying to resolve the problem several months ago). I figured I owed it to Shez. Besides, while I figured that some, like yourself, may have figured it out since I stopped following the original thread, its a pretty sure bet (to follow you example) that I wasn't the only one who hadn't heard of the fix...

You're right, it would have been nice to have heard of the fix months ago, but hey, better late than never, right? I didn't continue to follow the original thread on the problem since I was experiencing extremely low frame rates with ONT2012. Until I upgrade my system I'll have to stick with ONT2006 for at least a few more months...

Incidentally, if, as you speculate, I have an addon somewhere that includes the .bgl for the trucks and is missing some of the textures called by that .bgl, it apparently is missing other textures than the ones these files replace. One catering truck, at gate B10, in Rob's KGRR scenery is still missing its textuers as are several trucks behind the FedEX/DHL building in the KGRR scenery....

Take care,

Scott

BTW, Joe doing a search on *db_truck_lib* would be ill advised, to say the least. Doing the search on the entire AVLIM file Libary brings up 76 pages worth of files (around 800 in fact). It doesn't take much imagination to realize how long it would take to find the "curpit" having to go through THAT many files one by one!

Doing the same search in just the FS9 Scenery Design library still brings up 9 pages of possible "curpits" including the db_truck_.fix.zip file, but not the db_truck_lib.zip file. Even only this many files would take quite a while to search through for the "curpit". Anyway, without the latter file the db_truck_fix file is useless.

I think anyone looking for these files would be better off following my instructions...

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for posting this solution.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

BTW, Joe doing a search on *db_truck_lib* would be ill advised, to say the least. Doing the search on the entire AVLIM file Libary...

Scott,

I never wanted you to search the Avsim library for that file.

I wanted you to search your computer for that file.

sigbar.gif

Joe, there would be no reason for me to have had those files on my computer until I put them there a couple of days ago.

Beside, if I had already had them on my computer, I wouldn't have had the original problem in the first place.

In any case, you didn't exactly make clear where you wanted me to search for the files, did you?

Scott,

The fact that you can see the trucks in your sim means that somewhere you already had the db_truck.bgl in an active scenery folder.

The fact that the trucks were missing their textures means that the truck.bgl was not installed correctly on your system.

All I was trying to do was to help you find the problem and fix it.

I have looked at Rob's KGRR and Shez's KONT in my FS9 setup and I don't have any missing textures so obviously I don't have a friggin' clue what I'm talking about.

Good luck to you.

I'm out.

sigbar.gif

While we're here, I'd like to point out the sceneries by Rob Touchtone mentioned earlier. He's put up a handful of new sceneries over the past couple of weeks. I appreciate the addition of some of these smaller airports for those who tire of flying between major hubs and the same old routes. Thanks, Rob.

Yeah, Joe I guess I'm pretty much in the same situation.

For what its worth, I did a search of my entire FS2004 folder and its sub folders for "db_*.* " and discovered that there was a set of the truck textures in ONT2012's texture folder. I have no idea why i have to have another set in my Addon Scenery/texture folder for them to show up when I load ONT2012 (my Static Object Library is at top of my Addon List in cause anyone was wondering). At this point, though, I don't care. They're there now and thats all tha counts....

As a side note to everyone, I found that I had to move the fedex truck textures (FEDEXP.bmp through FEDX9B_lm.bmp) from my Static Object Library/texture folder to my Addon Scenery/texture folder for the missing FedEx truck textures to show up in Rob's KGRR scenery. The strange thing is a couple of FedEx truck textures *were* appearing (two trucks in the back of the DHL/FedEx terminal and maybe one in front). The cause of this is another mystery I can't explain. As with ONT2012, the missing textures are there now so it really doesn't matter I guess...

Take care, Joe! I know you were just trying to be helpful, as was I (in begining this thread in the first place)...