Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

My FSX Build - Your Thoughts/Comments

Guest do_denver2

I have the 3770k on a Z77 with the Hyper Evo 212 fan. I bought an extra blademaster fan to run push pull plus 2 extra blademaster fans to go with the two stock case fans. I'm running at 4.8ghz without any problems. The temps are a bit on the warm side at 4.8 but within the safe operating temps chip. I think the Hyper Evo was around $30 and the extra fans about $8 each. All in all not bad for budget air.

I have the 3770k on a Z77 with the Hyper Evo 212 fan. I bought an extra blademaster fan to run push pull plus 2 extra blademaster fans to go with the two stock case fans. I'm running at 4.8ghz without any problems. The temps are a bit on the warm side at 4.8 but within the safe operating temps chip. I think the Hyper Evo was around $30 and the extra fans about $8 each. All in all not bad for budget air.

Did you even de-lid?

Guest do_denver2

No I haven't. SInce it's running fine I don't see the point. I live in Mexico so I don't know where to get the liquid metal and it looks like a bit of a hassle and a risk. I will however look into some better thermal paste as per your recommendation. I used the Coolermaster goo that came with the fan.

+1

An IB OC'ed to 4.5GHZ on air with 2400MHZ RAM will perform about the same as a SB system @ 4.8-5GHZ.

Ben

I'm not willing to de-lid...so in that regard would I be better off sticking with SB or still going with the IB CPU?

For what it's worth my PC would only ever be on for 2-8 hours at a time, it's not on 24/7.

Martin

Go for IB

An IB @4.5 with 2400rams is the same as SB @4.8 with 1600 not as à 5ghz SB witch is faster.

Ok, I'm sold, I shall be going for an IB. A couple of questions though...

1) Am I ok to OC to ~4.5 without delidding if I get a good cooler?

2) Is it worth spending an extra £80 on the i7 3770k or would you save the extra and go for the i5 3570k?

I understand the i7 wont offer any advantage for gaming, however I also do a fair bit of photo editing.

Thanks

1) Am I ok to OC to ~4.5 without delidding if I get a good cooler?

It depends on how good your chip is. If it is a CPU that requires a ton of voltage, you are probably not going to be able to OC that much without de-lidding. But, if you get a CPU that requires low voltage even on high OCs, you might even be able to send the chip higher without a de-lid. - It really just boils down to voltage and temps.

If you can get an IB @ 4.5GHZ (no delid) and run IBT without passing 80C, then a de-lid is unneccesary.

If you can get an IB @ 4.5GHZ (no delid) and run IBT without passing 80C, then a de-lid is unneccesary.

Shall not be any problems, i run IBT @4.8 with H100 unlidded the temps was 85-90c

That 300mhz its lot of voltage compared to 4.5 , de-lid is a must if you plan to have decent temps @ 4.7-5.0 ghz

Thanks Ben. What determines how much voltage is required then? What makes a chip "good" or not?

Thanks

Thanks Ben. What determines how much voltage is required then? What makes a chip "good" or not?

Thanks

Welcome to the Silicon Lottery. :lol:

It really is a luck of the draw if you get a good chip or not. If Intel decides to start higher binned versions (3970K), then you should go for that one instead.

For example, a 2600K will likely require more voltage than the 2700K because the 2700Ks are a higher binned version of the same chip.

Haha, fair enough! Thanks for all your help mate.

Thanks to you fine people I think I know what I'm going to go for now, so here is my "final" shopping list...

Intel i5 3570K CPU

ASUS P8Z77 MOBO

8GB Corsair 2000Mhz RAM

1TB WD Caviar Black 7200RPM HDD

Gigabyte GTX660Ti OC 2GB

Corsair 750W PSU

Corsair Carbide 300R case with 2 extra Apache ultra silent fans

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler

So that's it...I think!

What do you reckon? Any last minute recommendations to improve/refine? I'm already pretty close to budget so can't really be anything too drastic!

Cheers

Haha, fair enough! Thanks for all your help mate.

Thanks to you fine people I think I know what I'm going to go for now, so here is my "final" shopping list...

Intel i5 3570K CPU

ASUS P8Z77 MOBO

8GB Corsair 2000Mhz RAM

1TB WD Caviar Black 7200RPM HDD

Gigabyte GTX660Ti OC 2GB

Corsair 750W PSU

Corsair Carbide 300R case with 2 extra Apache ultra silent fans

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler

So that's it...I think!

What do you reckon? Any last minute recommendations to improve/refine? I'm already pretty close to budget so can't really be anything too drastic!

Cheers

I am running the same CPU and graphics card here, but have not overclocked yet. It runs FSX fine aslong as I don't start with any AI traffic or HD scenery, my next step is to overclock to 4.2 and see if there is much change in performance. At present I can not even think of turning Ultimate Traffic 2 on, wondering if WOAI would be better

I live in Mexico so I don't know where to get the liquid metal and it looks like a bit of a hassle and a risk.

I was curious if frozencpu shipped outside the U.S. and they do. They have a number of TIM products - you should find one you will be happy with.

http://www.frozencpu...g8/Thermal.html

Not sure the "risk" with Coollaboratory LU (some residue staining but?)... certainly easy to apply.

I did a google on "best thermal paste 2012" and there is a number of links to sort thru. With the top TIMs there is going to be just a few °C difference... I think application is key (I always follow manf. directions).

I ended up settling on Timtronics Grey Ice 4200 (btwn IHS and HSF) partially from what I read at this review... http://www.tomshardw...nd-roundup-2011 . You can see what I mean so many so close together (which you will see similar spreads in other reviews).

Shall not be any problems, i run IBT @4.8 with H100 unlidded the temps was 85-90c

Same experience here.

I re-ran TurboEVO (w/ the a/c pumped into the case) and it bumped up the multiplier by 1 (to 49)... so 4.9GHz @ 1.375v w/ H100 (unlidded - lapped H100). IBT x10 run (max memory) passed max temp w/ RealTemp (still at) 88°C

8GB Corsair 2000Mhz RAM

Go for THIS instead. It will add a small bit of performance for little or no higher cost.

Ben

That RAM seems really hard to come by in the UK without paying silly money compared to the US price.

How does this stack up against it and against what I suggested in my "final" shopping list?

Thanks

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-jet-black-pc3-19200-(2400)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-10-12-12-31-xmp