Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

New FSX Build - GTX660Ti or GTX670?

Hi All

I'm just about done with my new build for FSX and am stuck on the GPU.

I was originally set on the GTX660Ti OC and then noticed the GTX670 is not actually a game-changing amount more money.

Any suggestions from those who use either card. I know in theory the GTX670 is the faster card, but would be interested to hear opinions from those using either in FSX.

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin. I went from a Asus GTX 560TI Top to an Asus GTX 670 and noticed a difference in performance in FSX.

the 670 works a treat for me and FSX runs smooth as silk.

My other specs:

Asrock Z68 extreme 4

i5 2500k at 4.6ghz

OCZ agility 3 240GB

8gb corsair vengeance

Hope this helps

Craig

Thanks Craig.

I'm now torn between the 670 and the MSI 660Ti Power Edition.

Reviews suggest the MSI 660Ti isn't far off of the 670 performance and it's about 20% less...hmmm!

If you can afford it, get the 670. It will only make a 5-10% performance difference though. (in clouds + SGSS)

Yes, it's not a deal breaker for the budget, just trying to weigh up cost/benefit as usual!

I went with a EVGA 670GTX and I am very happy with it, if it won't break the bank I would suggest that over the 660 for the same reason's as Ben. You will get some added horse power for heavy weather, etc.

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Hi Jordan

I went with the EVGA GTX670 FTW Signature II in the end! My system got built last night so today is being spend installing, configuring and overclocking! :-)

I went with the EVGA GTX670 FTW Signature II in the end! My system got built last night so today is being spend installing, configuring and overclocking! :-)

Congratz!

quick question... since the GTX670 and GTX 660 TI is PCI Express 3.0 x16 and my motherboard is Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P which supports PCI Express 2.0 x16 is it worth upgrading?? or I should stick with GTX 560TI

quick question... since the GTX670 and GTX 660 TI is PCI Express 3.0 x16 and my motherboard is Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P which supports PCI Express 2.0 x16 is it worth upgrading?? or I should stick with GTX 560TI

PCIe 3.0 is a non factor. But that doesn't mean it's worth it to upgrade. FSX is CPU limited for the most part. Unless you're looking to improve IQ (antialiasing) it's not worth it.

In other words, if what you want is more FPS, don't waste your money and stand pat

PCIe 3.0 is a non factor. But that doesn't mean it's worth it to upgrade. FSX is CPU limited for the most part. Unless you're looking to improve IQ (antialiasing) it's not worth it.

In other words, if what you want is more FPS, don't waste your money and stand pat

Thanks for the reply... I wanna add more WX and try to move the sliders up so I care less about frate rate unless it's smooth.

I am currently running the i7 2600k and my video card is sapphire 5870 2GB. I know nvidia performs better with FSX so you think it will be better to upgrade???

Thanks for the reply... I wanna add more WX and try to move the sliders up so I care less about frate rate unless it's smooth.

I am currently running the i7 2600k and my video card is sapphire 5870 2GB. I know nvidia performs better with FSX so you think it will be better to upgrade???

I'm a bit confused. Was your innitial question if you can use a PCIe3.0 Gfx-card on a PCIe2.0

motherboard? The answer to that question is yes.

If you say that you are currently on a 5870 it sounds like you are using other games as well and a 560ti would pretty much only give you better FPS in FSX with AA incloudy conditions, but not really any better in other games. So if you want an upgrade for other games as well I'd go for a 660ti or higher. And the 600 series cards will give you a lot better performance with SGSS AA in clouds over the 560ti.

I'm a bit confused. Was your innitial question if you can use a PCIe3.0 Gfx-card on a PCIe2.0

motherboard? The answer to that question is yes.

If you say that you are currently on a 5870 it sounds like you are using other games as well and a 560ti would pretty much only give you better FPS in FSX with AA incloudy conditions, but not really any better in other games. So if you want an upgrade for other games as well I'd go for a 660ti or higher. And the 600 series cards will give you a lot better performance with SGSS AA in clouds over the 560ti.

Sorry for all the confusion... I understood that PCI express 3.0 is compatible with PCI express 2.0 motherboard.

My next question was worth of upgrading to these cards for cloudy conditions in FSX. The sad part is... I don't play any other games than FSX so thinking about upgrading just for FSX.

Thanks!

The GTX660 (non Ti) is quite a bit better than the 560Ti for not much more in that case.