Sign in to follow this  
alanyost

Getting towering cumulus depticted--anvil shaped-squall lines, etc.

HI:

I am in the government research community and need to be able to consistently duplicate in one location a short line of thunderstorms for a simulated aircraft to deviate around. (We have a full sized B737NG cockpit that runs FSX with Simavionics/FDS hardware) This program appears to have the capability to create consistent user defined weather, but I can't for the life of me get towering cumulus clouds to appear. What does show up on the screen is quite good, great lightning, etc., but very little vertical development. Am I missing something or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice!

Alan

HI:

I am in the government research community and need to be able to consistently duplicate in one location a short line of thunderstorms for a simulated aircraft to deviate around. (We have a full sized B737NG cockpit that runs FSX with Simavionics/FDS hardware) This program appears to have the capability to create consistent user defined weather, but I can't for the life of me get towering cumulus clouds to appear. What does show up on the screen is quite good, great lightning, etc., but very little vertical development. Am I missing something or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice!

Alan

Never seen any Towering cumulus with AS, only with other engines.

/Per

Per W Sweden

I have heard (fwiw), that FSX itself is at fault in not being able to generate towering cumulous and anvil clouds above FL200 or so. I think cloud generation is mostly a hit and miss proposition as far as consistency is concerned.

HI,

Right now, consistently duplicating is impossible in FSX, they use random and at certain level only, there is limitation with Real weather compare to Manual WX with FSX, but we are working on this, totally different way and this will bring news things and detailed, dramatic change.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hello,

Active Sky (all versions since inception) has always provided towering cumulus by cloud data definition. As Chris mentioned the depiction is not always predictable due to FS depiction issues, but you can get towering cumulus up to 32,000ft quite easily in most cases with just about every AS version. We've worked on this specifically a number of times and have much positive feedback regarding our depiction in cumulus, towering cumulus, cumulonimbus and many other cloud formations. If you have not experienced this with Active Sky, either you have not flown in appropriate conditions, have options affecting your results, are experiencing FS depiction anomalies, or have another problem which we'd love to take a look at if you'd like to open a support ticket.

This is not a forum to promote other competitive products. As per our forum rules, promoting other products is not allowed here. This is for Active Sky discussion. If you have criticism, that is fine, but keep it constructive.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies