Sign in to follow this  
scotth6

Unable to download from library

Hi.

I've been trying several times in the past few days to download files from the scenery design section with Google Chrome, and no matter what I try I keep getting this after the page tries to load for a few seconds:

This webpage is not available

Google Chrome could not load the webpage because library.avsim.net took too long to respond. The website may be down, or you may be experiencing issues with your Internet connection.

Here are some suggestions:

• Reload this webpage later.
  • Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.
  • Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
  • If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: Go to the wrench menu >Settings > Show advanced settings... > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox.

Error 118 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.

I have tried all of the suggestions on this page, but nothing helps. I am able to download from every other site with no issues.

One other thing I got, when I ticked the box in Google settings: Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors, was:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to library.avsim.net

Suggestions:

Then, when I click on Try reloading....................., I get a box with "Authentication required" at the top, and "the server library.avsim.net:21 requires a username and password" and a space to fill in Username and Password. However, when I put my avsim username and password in it tries to load, and the same box reappears.

I am having no other issues with my internet at the moment, so I really can't figure out what is going on.

Cheers,

Scott

Have you used Chrome before without any issues?

Have you tried a different browser?

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply.

Apart from trouble installing Chrome initially, I haven't had any other problems with it. I've been using it now for approximately six months.

I think I tried Internet Explorer the other day too, although not 100% on that. Anyway I have just tried it now and it does not seem to be working either.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott,

Check the settings on any Internet security software you may have - sometimes overzealous Internet security programs can cause these types of difficulties, they may be blocking downloads from or access to AVSIM.

Also make sure your browser is configured to accept cookies and third-party cookies.

I use Chrome and have tested it (along with Firefox, IE, Opera, Avant, SeaMonkey and Wyzo) thoroughly with the library and it works perfectly fine (all the other browsers listed work with the library fine too).

Hi Dave and Momtchil,

Thanks for your attention and suggestions. Its very much appreciated.

I'm pleased to announce (touch wood) that everything seems to be back to normal now. After just reading an email I received from Dave, I decided to give downloading a try again before I changed any settings, and I am at this minute downloading a scenery file from Avsim. I am unable to explain what has changed, I definitely had Avsim and chrome allowed through my firewall, had cookies allowed etc before, but there was some other problem. The only possible explanation I can come up with is that a few days ago I had to do a system restore after some camera software caused my system to crash and Windows would not start. I eventually got this sorted out, and then had to reinstall Windows updates and Microsoft Security Essentials updates. I can only assume that these updates have solved whatever issues there were.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Cheers,

Scott

Good to hear you are up and downloading again.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Case Closed!

:smile:

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png