Sign in to follow this  
pwscott

Errors After Install Traffic 360 over Traffic X- Little Help?

So I installed Just Flight's new Traffic 360 on my Win7 machine running FSX w/Acceleration of course. I thought I had Traffic X installed may be, but I couldn't find anywhere I had downloaded it (turns out I installed it from a DVD last year). Anyway, I didn't see anywhere to uninstall it....such as in Add/Remove Progs, or any uninstaller at E:\fsx\JustFlight.....SO...I went ahead and purchased Traffic 360, downloaded it and installed it. (not the upgrade which woul dhave saved me $10 but the full program)

Now when I start FSX, I get errors that I have to dismiss...eventually I can launch and run and the traffic looks great, but I get:

SCENERY.CFG file errors

"There are multiple objects with the same title name. They must have unique names.

JFAI_CT_Airfiled

SimObjects\JFTraffic\JustFlightCtrlTowerAirfield"

Among ~20 others. I went looking at Just Flight's website and they just say uninstall Traffic X to fix this. They don;'t say how...there is no uninstaller that I see. I tried dragging the following folders out of FSX:

E:\fsx\SimObjects\TrafficX

E:\fsx\TrafficXplus (note that I apparently had the military and civilian plus paks from Traffic X too)

E:\fsx\TrafficX

and I then uninstalled Traffic 360 and then re-installed it after a reboot...same symptoms: When I start FSX or I change airports or panes/helow I get ~10 or 20 errors to OK through.

I have made a JPEG that I uploaded to Flickr here showing almost all the errors screen-clipped into a file.

Please if someone could advise me on how to fix this and what file folders are safe to get rid of or is something like rebuilding or deleting a .CFG file might help.

Thanks and happy Turkey Day in the USA.

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive

Hi Philip,

Could you drop our support team an e-mail and we'll get this fixed for you? - support@justflight.com

We can also give you $10 worth of reward points to use on a future order as you were entitled to the upgrade discount.

Thanks

Martyn

Martyn - Just Flight

Email sent to support (and PM to Nortmar with thanks).

The problem resides in yourProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder. Certain parameters of FSX are controlled by easily editable XML documents. The "Scenery.cfg" document defines what folders are used for scenery and the order which they are "layered." When the scenery .cfg defines a layer that FSX cannot physically find, it will present a dismissible error message.

You may open the scenery .cfg by right-clicking to open as a text document. To me this is clearer than HTML style and it is editable. To clear your error messages, you would want to use the text search to remove any entries associated with TrafficX. You should be careful to re-order the sequence of entries and layer numbers so they remain continuous. This is not entirely required, but will keep the sequence compact to allow the maximum number of add-ons, since the native FSX scenery editor allows only 1000 entries.

A cool free tool that allows you to manipulate your scenery .cfg while preserving layer order, among other neat features, is "Scenery Config Editor" by Andrew Thornton, available here: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxutil&DLID=164352. By using it, I am able to load my FSX with 1061 installed scenery areas (currently). Be sure to make back-ups, FSX is very tolerant of XML experimentation...

Rick Keller

Thanks @aarque. I had the program already from previous repairs/updates. I used it to remove the two problem areas that had red warnings and that resolved the scenery issue, BUT the issue of duplicate vehicles/planes/spotty/control towers etc still remains.

Ok. The fsx.cfg controls basic start-up parameters. The parameter with which we are concerned defines where the aircraft/vehicle folders are to be found. I believe in this instance, if the indicated folders are not located, FSX will hang, but that shouldn't be an issue for us. This document is in: Users\(your name)\ AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX. Again use text to open it, this is what my section looks like:

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=MyTraffic\aircraft

SimObjectPaths.7=Aircraft

The section after the equals sign denotes the file path from within the FSX folder. Therefore, my MyTraffic AI aircraft are defined by entry "SimObjectPaths.6" and it indicates that they are to be found within the "aircraft" folder, inside the MyTraffic folder. You can see that I have added a 7th entry, this folder sequesters all my other AI vehicles, for the sole reason of simplifying organization.

No doubt you will encounter a similar hierarchy where the new 360 AI folder ( "JFTraffic" ) is defining objects that are identical to objects that remain in your still installed TrafficX Folder.

To resolve the conflict, remove the entry that defines your TrafficX folder, then sequentially re-number the remaining entries. That should end it.

Rick Keller

I had the same problem. You have to uninstall Traffic X before installing Traffic 360. The answer is in the Just Flight Support section.

Thanks, looking at fsx.cfg I don;t see TrafficX at all...even searching on it....most of the rest is as you said it would be. Here is an excerpt of how I find it now pre-editing anything where I have just clipped out the parts that have SimObjectPaths in them...note the Traffic360 entry being separated from the others.....suggestion?

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

ProcSpeed=8142

PerfBucket=7

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

Maximized=2

Location=440,130,1480,908,\\.\DISPLAY1

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\JFTraffic360

[PANELS]

IMAGE_QUALITY=1

QUICKTIPS=1

PANEL_OPACITY=100

PANEL_MASKING=1

PANEL_STRETCHING=1

UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0

DEFAULT_VIEW=0

[Weather]

Ok. The fsx.cfg controls basic start-up parameters. The parameter with which we are concerned defines where the aircraft/vehicle folders are to be found. I believe in this instance, if the indicated folders are not located, FSX will hang, but that shouldn't be an issue for us. This document is in: Users\(your name)\ AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX. Again use text to open it, this is what my section looks like:

SimObjectPaths.6=MyTraffic\aircraft

SimObjectPaths.7=Aircraft

The section after the equals sign denotes the file path from within the FSX folder. Therefore, my MyTraffic AI aircraft are defined by entry "SimObjectPaths.6" and it indicates that they are to be found within the "aircraft" folder, inside the MyTraffic folder. You can see that I have added a 7th entry, this folder sequesters all my other AI vehicles, for the sole reason of simplifying organization.

No doubt you will encounter a similar hierarchy where the new 360 AI folder ( "JFTraffic" ) is defining objects that are identical to objects that remain in your still installed TrafficX Folder.

To resolve the conflict, remove the entry that defines your TrafficX folder, then sequentially re-number the remaining entries. That should end it.

Thanks for replying, but yes I tried to point out in original post that I know that part....it's the "HOW to fix it/uninstall it????" that I am stuck on. There is no uninstaller or Add/Remove Programs entry for TrafficX on my system...and I already tried moving to desktop/removing the folders I noted in the original post.

I had the same problem. You have to uninstall Traffic X before installing Traffic 360. The answer is in the Just Flight Support section.

I am guessing your remaining conflicts involve the "SimObjects\JFTraffic360" folder, that starts with the message, "There are multiple objects..." correct? If not, please provide an updated image of your current error messages. The multiple object error message unfortunately does not name the original conflicted object, only the "intruder." My first reaction is to assume there is a 7th entry in your fsx.cfg, just as the "JFTraffic360" is separated from the others; however you have demonstrated due diligence so it is unlikely you would miss that entry, also it is reasonable to assume the conflicted object(s) would be in a earlier/lower folder, which they most likely are. To the best of my knowledge, no objects (aircraft, AI, boats, etc) can be rendered in FSX without it's parent folder being first defined in the fsx.cfg; so, you should be able to run a text search on your SimObjects folder for the conflicted objects. Upon finding them, you can remove them from the parent folder. I am going to take a shot in the dark and guess you will find them in your "SimObjects\Misc" folder.

Another program I use (usually to resolve conflicts) is "Addit! Pro FSX, http://www.byteforge.com/. There is a demo available. It will upon opening, offer to resolve aircraft conflicts by renaming the "title=(aircraft name)" within the aircraft.cfg. You might try that as well.

*Also, if you'd like, you can shift all the "SimObjectPaths" entries in the fsx.cfg to be in consecutive order; for simplicities sake.

Rick Keller

Thanks. ZIP file from your tool sent just now.

I do own Addit!Pro for FSX...when I run it there is no conflict flagged or shown. And "Yes" to your guess below- the remaining messages are "There are multiple objects..." including 'Spotty' and "ControlTower....." etc.

I am guessing your remaining conflicts involve the "SimObjects\JFTraffic360" folder, that starts with the message, "There are multiple objects..." correct? If not, please provide an updated image of your current error messages. The multiple object error message unfortunately does not name the original conflicted object, only the "intruder." My first reaction is to assume there is a 7th entry in your fsx.cfg, just as the "JFTraffic360" is separated from the others; however you have demonstrated due diligence so it is unlikely you would miss that entry, also it is reasonable to assume the conflicted object(s) would be in a earlier/lower folder, which they most likely are. To the best of my knowledge, no objects (aircraft, AI, boats, etc) can be rendered in FSX without it's parent folder being first defined in the fsx.cfg; so, you should be able to run a text search on your SimObjects folder for the conflicted objects. Upon finding them, you can remove them from the parent folder. I am going to take a shot in the dark and guess you will find them in your "SimObjects\Misc" folder.

Another program I use (usually to resolve conflicts) is "Addit! Pro FSX, http://www.byteforge.com/. There is a demo available. It will upon opening, offer to resolve aircraft conflicts by renaming the "title=(aircraft name)" within the aircraft.cfg. You might try that as well.

*Also, if you'd like, you can shift all the "SimObjectPaths" entries in the fsx.cfg to be in consecutive order; for simplicities sake.

I did not understand " ZIP file from your tool sent." Sorry to be dense but I can not identify a specific tool and I saw no new image at flickr or in my box.

No matter, the "needle in the haystack" solution should work, just search "spotty," "control tower" and whatever else is named in the error messages, run the search within your SimObjects folder. You should see duplicates, check their parent folders. When a parent folder is not "JFTraffic360," you likely have found your culprit and can confine your search for the remaining objects to within that folder. Pretty much has to work...

Rick Keller

Whoops! Sorry @aarque, should have addressed my response to @nortmar, whose Support Team sent me a tool from JustFlight to gather data about my FSX install so they can help me. I will see when I can get after editing/checking the FSX.CFG file again...just arrived a family reunion for the night with 50 family members probably all heading for the bar.

I did not understand " ZIP file from your tool sent." Sorry to be dense but I can not identify a specific tool and I saw no new image at flickr or in my box.

No matter, the "needle in the haystack" solution should work, just search "spotty," "control tower" and whatever else is named in the error messages, run the search within your SimObjects folder. You should see duplicates, check their parent folders. When a parent folder is not "JFTraffic360," you likely have found your culprit and can confine your search for the remaining objects to within that folder. Pretty much has to work...

So still having this issue while I wait for Just Flight Support to get back to me. I did run latest version of AddIt!Proo registered and when I chose EDIT Aircraft it detected some duplicate names and offered to fix that- I let it fix that but I still have errors with objects of same name.

HERE are the latest errors I get in the order in which they appear when I launch FSX and again if I choose a plane to fly....after that all runs OK until I choose a difernet vehicle.

WooHoo! Updated...all fixed by following @aarque"s advice:

I am going to take a shot in the dark and guess you will find them in your "SimObjects\Misc" folder.

That's where they were and I removed those folders and all seems happy now.

I am pretty sure "Misc" contains necessary objects. Looking in mine, I find items from default missions, addon scenery and, it looks like, Abacus missions. If you remove only the duplicated objects - you can remove them from either folder, you will have access to the other objects.

Rick Keller