Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Please HELP! My planes creep forward

I've spent the last few days googling this problem but I can't find a solution. Some people say it's a bug in FS9, some say other things.

What happens is when I have my engines on idle with the parking brakes on, all my aircrafts slooooowly creeps forward. I would say it creeps about 1"-2" every 5-10 seconds or so. It's not easy to spot when you're doing the usual things in the VC, but when I zoom VERY close to the ground, it's quite clear that the aircraft is moving forward on its own.

I have found a few threads online from other forums talking about a fix you can download but none of the members can find it. I wonder if one even exists?

Does anybody know what's causing this? I'd really hate to do a complete re-install with all my add ons and only to find out it doesn't fix the problem.

I really can't say if I had this problem before. If I did, I never noticed it until a few days ago.

Thanks

Sounds like an Aircraft fitted with a Turbine engine(s). (Beech King Air, etc).

Don't forget to move the Fuel Cut Off Lever(s) to "Low Idle" when at idle and ground manoeuvring to reduce the power slightly, and reduce "creep" at a standstill.

Move to "High Idle" for full power take off.

Paul.... B) ...!

Go into the Library - type in search box, Tips and Tricks 12 Opa, this will bring you lists of the late Opa's tips and tricks series, you will probably find Number 12 on the second page, this has help on brake creep.

Echofox

Paul,

It happens to all my aircrafts. I'll remember to move the fuel cut off lever to low idle next time I try a prop plane and see what happens. Thanks.

Echofox,

Thanks for the help. I just downloaded it and read the section about brakes. Unfortunately his tweak is for the toe brake. A get the creeping problem with my parking brake set. I've never checked if it creeps with the toe brakes. I'll have to do that.

I only had that happen with one scenery even with the engines off. I believe it was a freeware KMDW.

Only turbo props have low (ground beta) and high (flight) idle. However i would think the parking brake should hold on either unless extreme.

To check your throttle calibration idle hit F1 to insure your engines are idling. This is independent of throttle settings. See if your power or prop RPM changes (on a variable prop pitch have the prop RPM fully in for max RPM). If it does then you do need to calibrate your throttle.

Are you using the keyboard brakes? If so, set your brake sensitivities to maximum anyway. It might be an FS "mystery" feature where the keyboard braking still might use that sensitivity.

Regarding that KMDW freeware, I think it had to do with the resolution of that scenery being low and in rendering the creep had to do with a rounding error in the scenery rendering. 'Twas a long time ago possibly in FS8.

It might have even been in Win 98 with a primitive graphics card.

Although it states toe brakes, if you alter the cfg you will stop the creeps. I have applied it and can put full power on with the park brake set and the plane doesn't move, release the brakes and it accelerates like the real thing. Try it.

Echofox

I've done some checking, most aircraft where I have adjusted the cfg setting don't seem to creep, or if they do its minimal, an example is PSS. In real life as you probably are well aware, for safety , the wheels will be chocked when the plane is parked, also airliner engines are normally started on pushback. I think before the hack there was a "chocks" download, but I haven't been able to trace it. There are some arircraft downloads with chocks in the package, but as far as the big stuff is concerned it looks like start up on pushback.

Echofox

Turbine powered aircraft on take-off spool up the engines first with the parking brake on and then it gets released at certain N1 or other power reading. This often applies to the TOGA button for jets that have them. This results in a shorter distance to rotation as the initial ground acceleration is faster.

Ronzie,

Thanks for the tips. I don't have any creep when the engines are off. Only when they're on.

I've ran the calibration wizard within FS9 for my Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant. They check out fine. But here's something weird. With my Saitek throttle at idle, the N1 is sometimes almost 1% higher than what I get by pressing F1.

When I press F1 at the gate, the planes usually stop creeping (with engines running). But as I start taxiing to the runway, the problem comes back. Usually, by the time i have to hold short, pressing F1 slows down the creep. It will creep at a much slower pace if I do that.

Echofox,

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Though I have to admit. After flying a few days with this problem. I can't say it really bothers me. It only bothers me when I have a very long waiting time for the runway due to high traffic. Not moving for almost 10 mins will move my plane probably 20ft or so.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

Why don't you assign a Button on the Saitek Yoke or Throttle to F1, I find with 3 menus there is always a spare one or 2, this way you can control the creep more easily.

Echofox

Try adding a little bit of null in the throttle axis in FS. It could be your throttle control is wandering about the 0 position calibration point. You can also place the throttle just above zero position and then calibrate it as zero. However more than a bit of negative thrust on some models will engage idle reverse (idle power with buckets open or variable pitch props in reverse pitch) where available.

If your throttle is calibrated for idle above the bottom position so you can use it for reverse thrust then that will take a different technique.

Echofox and Ron,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Got it. I've set the very minimum setting (below the detent) on the throttle control as F1. Once I increase the throttle to taxi and bring it back down and apply parking brakes, the aircraft will creep very slowly. So I just bring my throttle past the minimum detent all the way down and the creep will stop or decrease by a lot.

I noticed that the issue is a little different with my PMDG MD-11. I have to add "repeat" to the F1 setting on my throttle and keep it there when I'm not moving.

Looks like this is the best I can do and it's no longer an issue because the creep has been minimized to the point that it doesn't really make a difference anymore.

Thanks again

Your welcome, glad you have it working 99%, I remember reading somewhere that aircraft brakes were not completely efficient !!!!!

Echofox.

I'm perfectly fine with how it's going right now but I will probably try to adjust the brakes in the aircraft cfg, just to see how it goes. I'm just a little worried that the brakes will become too strong all the time (landing, taxiing, etc).