Sign in to follow this  
Brian_Gladden

LANCAIR IV-P FOR SALE

Nice Find :D It's one heck of an aircraft! Love that cruise 335+ at 29,000 feet...and mmm...climate control :9Jason :-wave

Guest B1900 Mech

I love that Aluminum V-8, With Dart Heads! I would realy like to know how reliable that engine would be at the prolonged high power settings, ( not typical of auto design and use) I know Van's homebuilt (Rv series) Designers will try to talk you out of using automotive techonoligy.

The engine in that Lancair is a second cousin to a NASCAR engine. I'm from an automotive background and a properly built V-8 would be as reliable or better than a similar HP Lycoming or Continental. If an engine built for 6500 rpm hauling a 3000 pound car at 200 mph can last 500 miles plus, then a similarly built one running at 3000-4000 rpm will run dang well forever. remember.... What usualy causes a car to break down is not the moving parts inside the engine, it's the stuff on the outside like igntion, fuel pumps etc. A good quality Race built (and not a $50,000 NASCAR or Drag race engine) would make gobs of HP and run on car gas and since it's liquid cooled, no more problems with shock cooling the engine. You can blow up a brand new turbocharged Lycoming or Coninental pretty easy if you run it too hard.If I won the lottery this week I'd be tempted to go buy that lancair (nned to Get my PPL first) and after some hours in it take it to Reno for the sport class :-)Brian

That Lancair has been for sale forever--I regularly scan for Lancairs, as I'm interested in doing one in FSDS 2 after I've finished my Microlight project. It looks unfinshed to me, so I don't know how accurate the assumptions are in terms of performance...Take a look at this link:http://www.americanengine.com/-John

I'm no expert, but I've been doing a little reading on this

There actualy is an approved Auto based engine available. Orenda makes an STC approved V-8 that is newly engineered but based on the Chevy Small Block. Also the torsonial pulses are reduced by the mass damping of the engine. for example, a V-8 is much smoother than a V-6 and a V-10 or 12 is smother still due to the amount of rotating mass and that due to more cylinders it's closer to continuous ignition. Also the reduction drive can damp these vibrations if you use a belt drive vs. a gearbox. I know Vans is against Auto conversions on the RV's because the only Auto engin that usualy will fit that has the proper horsepower is the Chevy 4.3 Litre V-6 and I personaly wouldn't use one of those to power a lawnmower, let alone an aircraft.Brian