Sign in to follow this  
Andydigital

Invalid Pointer Operation

Hi Artem and Guenter.

I finally know how to reproduce the "invalid pointer operation" bug/error in Linda that has been effecting me since the beta days of LINDA. I first encountered this bug shortly after getting my touch screen monitor, whenever it was powered on I couldn't load LINDA without this error at startup and if I clicked on OK the error prompt the whole Joystick section would be blank so Linda was unusable. The work around was simple, load linda before turning on the secondary touch screen monitor then switch it on and all would be fine for that session.

Well today I had the same error even with the monitor switched off and I got a little worried Linda was broken for good. Then I had a hunch what the problem was, a few hours early I had installed a trackball mouse for use in place of my normal mouse when I have my computer desk setup for flying, I don't really have room for a mouse when flying, so a trackball mouse is a good alternative.

It seems the error that LINDA is spitting out is literally because it cannot deal with two or more mouse devices connected to the same PC, basically that is what a touch screen monitor is, so that is why I got the error with that and now it also gives the same error with a Trackball mouse connected at the same time.

Windows can quite happily work with more than one mouse connected as long as only one is in use (moving) at any one time.

Hopefully now you know how you can cheaply reproduce the error i.e. with a second mouse, fingers crossed you may be able to erradicate this problem.

Thanks and happy holidays.

Cheers, Andy.

Taking this into bugtracker list. Thanks, Andy!

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Same issue I am afraid.

Just installed a USB wireless mouse (Logitech) and I am getting a invalid pointer operation. Now it will not recognise my joystick....

Any help would be appreciated.

win 7 64bit

Thank youj

The only thing you can do at this time is to remove the extra mouse, load Linda then plug the mouse back in again, Linda will now work fine till the next time you terminate and restart Linda.

Cheers, Andy.