Sign in to follow this  
iEscape

In need of help choosing a product

I received a bit of money and now i'm in the market for a new product.

The two i'm looking at are the following:

PMDG MD-11

CoolSky DC-9

I'm really trying to weigh out which one I will enjoy more.

I'm really used to FMC navigation and the old style of the DC-9 kind of intimidates me.

Any feedback or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Matt D.

Unless the money is really burning a hole in your pocket, I'd say wait another month or so and get the PMDG 777.

I hear ya, already got those funds allocated :-)

Appreciate the feedback though.

I really doubt that the 777 is going to be ready in a month or so! It isn't even in wide beta yet according to the latest status report in their forums. I'm going to place my bets on something in the vicinity of 6 months, but you never know...

I bought the Coolsky a week or so ago. It really really needs an official (non-beta) service pack and to my knowledge the paint kit hasn't yet been released so you won't see any free repaints.

Anthony Cacciatore

I'd say probably wait as well, the CS and PMDG 777 isn't too far away I believe. Id also recommended the newly released Airbus X Extended to anyone its an exceptional aircraft. But it really comes down to user choice, and what you'd fly more, no point spending money on something you'll use now and again. I don't own either of two aircraft your looking into however I'd still recommend the PMDG MD-11 I hear its pretty awesome.

Depends if you want to get to grips with old(er) school navigating. If you do, then the DC is the way to go. If you need the nav and prof (LNAV/VNAV) then the MD. I really enjoy both and would hate to have to choose between them now. The MD is likely to be more stable out of the box because it's more mature, although I have no major issues with the DC. Others appear to. The DC paint kit is coming...

The DC does need more hands on attention. The AP won't fly you to TOD on its own. But there is something satisfying about breaking out of the cloud on short(ish) finals without having tracked a magenta line.

Either way, you can't lose.

Mike