Sign in to follow this  
Guest HepburnUGA

VC Flying versa 2D Panel...

Hey guys,I have one main monitor (17" CRT) I use for viewing the 2D panels of aircrafts. I have a second monitor (15" TFT) to where I drag und drop navigational software addons like navigator, FMCs, GPS etc.Somehow I have bought some 3D VC only aircrafts, like PIC A320. I could not realy fly it, because I had to zoom in to read gauges, do things with FMC (MCDU) and up to play with overhead etc. When I had to move my view back to see forward, I had to zoom out again... All with ONE mouse cursor! Well I have my 360

Try a 22" monitor and this smallness issue will be much less of a concern. I believe aircraft like the FLight 1 152 are the perfect aircraft for virtual cockpit flying. No FPS issues and you get a *sense* of full vision range that 2D flying does not give us. When I fly the PMDG, I mostly use their ZOOM panel strictly because it gives me LARGE, clear, crisp, and smooth displays and an outside field is not as important to my Jet flying, although landing these large jets suffers greatly from the reduced FOV. If I use the main 2D panel is it only to set the A/B etc. I don't believe large FS aircraft have reached a point of 100% VC flying. They suffer from lower FPS amounst other things... Hopefully this will keep advancing and I believe it will...Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

-For heavies and IFR flying in general I prefer 2D views. It's surprising if the PIC indeed doesn't come with a 2D panel at all. I thought VC's belonged to the realm of VFR and small aircraft.-I have the CH yoke and find it easy to use for zooming, panning etc:I use the two red buttons on the left side for zoom in and zoom outThe third button on the left side is used to reset zoom to my prefered 0.75x (use the CH Manager to program the sequence "BKSPC /" (zoom to 1x, then zoom out by 0.25x).I use the hat switch to pan and I have increased the pan rate by editing the fs9.cfg file, the red button on the right side is used for pan reset (look ahead).-Some VC users use a program called TrackIR which (from what I understand) uses a webcam to track the motion of ones head as one looks around. I have personally not used this system so I can't comment on it.-I have to recommend Active Camera as well, at least if you fly GA planes at all. It adds head latency and turbulence effects, allows you to pan and zoom using the mouse and much more. Unfortunately it's payware now and doesn't offer that much value for the money ($15 or something for a rather simple module).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Well, I dont believe it is up to how large my monitor is or they are...In a real aircraft I turn my head to look somewhere I cannot see just by moving my eyes around. In FS2k4 I either would have to have more than one or two monitors, like every window and part should have it's own monitor like the realy rich hard core simmers have. Or I should have a unpayable VR-Helmet and a cyberglove with wich I could do more than just with my mouse cursor.Until I can afford a nice VR-Helmet, I will use only 2D panels with airliner jets and enjoy the 3D of smaler aircrafts like GAs together with 2D panels.I cannot understand how Ariane can just build a 3D only cockpit when there is a lack in usability... It is too much fake, because I have to use more than just my mouse to interact in a 3D modeled cockpit with 2D only cabable monitors.

Well, you are right. MS made FS2k4 right to use with VR-Helmets. 3D Cockpits instead of 2D panels are nice, but doesnt make much working sence without VR-Helmet or VR-Goggles.Here is a nice link to VR: http://www.trivisio.com/main.htmlOverview:http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htmAnd another producer:http://www.iisvr.com/products_VR_main.htmland:http://www.rockwellcollins.com/keo/proviewxl3550.htmand:http://www.i-glassesstore.com/iglassespc.htmlEven better and affordable:http://www.i-glassesstore.com/ig-svga3dpro.html -- together with TrackIR it would be the best one for personal privat use - less than 2000

I don't take this game to the extreme serious wise, but I fly in nothing but a VC with a 21" monitor and 1280x1024 resolution. Everything from RFP 742 to PMDG 737 & 1900dIts too bad there aren't more high quality airplanes with VCs (md-11s, 767, 777) but I guess people like myself are few and far between

Guest fs3tofs9

I use the VC in the PMDG 737 during the takeoff roll, cruise, and on final if the approach is going normally and no frame rate issues crop up. I'll switch to the 2D view to make quick setting changes during approach and I'll stay there if I find myself getting behind on my tasks.If things really start getting crazy or I just want to absorb the scenery on approach, I'll turn off all the autopilots and go native by dropping the 2D cockpit all together and using the full view with the minimum set of dials at the bottom of the screen. I love the flexibility that Flight Simulator gives you regarding view options. If any MS beta testers are reading this please don't let MS drop long standing options like the full screen view with minimum instruments in their next version !!

I never cared for 3D and have always flown only 2d..On account of the photorealistc panels of 2D.UNTIL... I got Active Camera.WOW... This brings 3D to life... I have now started picking aircrafts that have decent 3D panels.. :)http://www.anticyclone.be/active.htmlYou can download it and try it work.. The Demo works around the Seattle area and it does not expire. I tried it...and bought the full version for what? $15 or something.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Alex what zoom do you use in VC in the PMDG?i have a 21" and use the same resolutions, just interested to see what you use by pressing shift plus key.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest HepburnUGA

My two cents...Set up your views in active camera... For example, my set up for the PMDG 737 is:1. ctrl-1 = main view out the window plus primary flight display2. ctrl-2 = zoomed in FMC view3. ctrl-3 = a slightly up and right view to give access to lights and start switches (handy for the before takeoff checklist items)4. ctrl-4 = A zoomed in view of the whole radio panel5. ctrl-5 = A view of the entire overhead panelAlso, I make all of these shots from teh captains view (meaning I don't set it so it looks like I am standing over the radio panel). There is obviously some tweaking and adjustments hear, but, overall, the effect is very nice.Edit: Also, to increase the rate of panning on your hat switch go into the fs2004.cfg file and change the pan_rate from 400 to 600-800. I prefer 600 hunder, but i have heard others mention 800.Hope this helps!