Sign in to follow this  
ajpongress

i7 950 OC to 4.0 GHZ? Yes you can...well I did.

Went from the stock 3.06 GHz to 4.02 GHz for $70!

Cheaper then buying a new processor.

My stock HSF started going bad a few weeks ago. Noticed temps creeping into the high 50's / low 60's at idle (ouch!).

Decided to go for an aftermarket HSF and did research.

In the end I decided on the Noctua NH-U12P for $70 plus tax.

It was tough fitting it in my Antec 900 case with all the cables running everywhere, but I managed it and the results were spectacular.

At stock settings, my idle temps were 35-38. I ran a Prime95 test for an hour and the max temp was 53. What an improvement.

Went for a 3.5 GHz OC test with a max temp of 60.

Finally went for a 4.0 GHz OC and after another 1 hour Prime95 test I hit a top temp of 70. Add in summer ambient room increases of max +5 degrees and this thing will run all day below 75.

Bclock of 175

Multiplier 23

VCore 1.325

Sure beats spending another 300$ for another i7 chip! I wholeheartedly recommend this cooler. It's amazing for the price and it even beats some water cooling rigs from the reviews I read.

I originally was going to go with a coolermaster V8 or the H212 but this one really takes the gold home.

I think another reason why my OC works so well is the case I'm using. My Antec 900 case has two front mounted 120mm intake fans plus a big 200mm "Big Boy" top mounted exhaust fan, plus another 120mm exhaust fan in the back.

You can interchange the HDD cages in the front and configure where you want the fans to go, so I ended up making a "wind tunnel" of air with 5x 120mm fans in a straight line from the front of the case to the back (3x intake fans and 2x exhaust fans).

5 fans in a straight line makes for some crazy ventilation, and any excess heat is drawn up by the 200mm exhaust fan on top.

If you're looking for a new HSF I'd consider a Noctua. 100% satisfied.

Congrats on your OC. Very impressive.

Is it really loud, with all that air movement?

Amazingly no. It's really no louder then before I installed the HSF.

Whether or not the front fans blowing directly into the HSF intake fan have anything to do with it or the HSF exhaust fan blowing straight through the rear case fan...well I don't have a clue.

I'm told water cooling is quieter but not by much compared to the Noctua.

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent

Nice overclock, AJ. Takes a bunch of work with the 950, doesn't it! - but it was a huge jump over the E6600.

Here's some more useful stuff you can use for o/c'ing the 950.

I replaced it when the i7-2600K came out, going to water with a triple radiator and three 120mm fans which just run at their lowest speed all the time - silence is golden.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Nice overclock, AJ. Takes a bunch of work with the 950, doesn't it! - but it was a huge jump over the E6600.

Here's some more useful stuff you can use for o/c'ing the 950.

I replaced it when the i7-2600K came out, going to water with a triple radiator and three 120mm fans which just run at their lowest speed all the time - silence is golden.

Thanks for the link!

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent