Sign in to follow this  
ebksb123

Flaring the NGX

One said now, not before 20 ft, and one said, around 50ft is possible, too.

One of the many simisms out there is this idea that flying is purely programmatic. Part of being a competent pilot is all about knowing your aircraft in and out, to the point where you can adjust to the situation at hand. A couple times in my flying life, I've had to do some pretty unique things to put a plane on the runway. Where I started flying, I could fly what I learned as a proper approach. In a Cessna 172, I would come in above glide slope, at 1500 RPM, pitched for 65 knots, and aiming for the 1000' markers. At other airports, however, this wasn't so much the case. When I fly to Harford County, I have to fly a very different approach, as the runway is only 2000' long. If I were to try the above technique, I'd land halfway down the runway. As such, I tend to use a different approach that comes in on the glide slope, at 1500 RPM, pitched for 60 knots (gust dependent), and aiming at the runway numbers. Once I clear the trees, it's idle to the threshold.

At other airports, where you have a tower sequencing traffic, I have to again adjust my approach to the approach. Often, if I'm placed ahead of another aircraft, I'll keep my speed up until on short final, chop the throttle, flaps on schedule, and use idle plus pitch down to the runway. I actually used that when I was ahead of a Cessna Citation into CHO that turned out to have Dave Matthews on board.

So, to bring it home, while the manual states you should pull the throttles back at 20', it's all in how you see the situation. If your speed is higher than you'd anticipated, pull the throttles back earlier.

Kyle Rodgers

One of the many simisms out there is this idea that flying is purely programmatic. Part of being a competent pilot is all about knowing your aircraft in and out, to the point where you can adjust to the situation at hand.

If your speed is higher than you'd anticipated, pull the throttles back earlier.

Yes. When quoting the FCTM, I forgot to mention that "operational common sense"—as a user named Ionut once put it—should almost always be used (there are certain instances where errors occur because of counter-intuitive or misleading factors). The second quotation I linked also describes an important point: not only must one occasionally adjust his or her approach and flare techniques to accommodate a certain airport/approach; he or she must sometimes adjust them to accommodate his or her own inaccuracies (i.e., deviations from proper glide slope, heading, and speed, etc.) or natural conditions (e.g., weather).

Here's a different question out of curiosity: In which of the following ways do you guys tend or try to complete the flaring process (I would assume the first, as it is easier and relies less on the instruments)?

1. Begin a continuous increase in pitch until immediately prior to touchdown and a decrease in throttle as necessary depending on the aircraft, and aim for the smoothest reasonable landing, making corrections if flotation or undesired descent rate changes occur.

2 (autoland technique). Begin a single increase in pitch and decrease in throttle as necessary depending on the aircraft, but aim for a target descent rate at a certain altitude (e.g., 100 ft/min at 5 ft), and then hold that descent rate until touchdown (e.g., three seconds later).

Edited by zowen11

Zowen, I would say more so number 1, except I don't do a slow round out, more really I just pull the nose up. If you're looking to aim for a target touchdown rate of a specific fps, it likely means that you are staring at the vvi, and not looking out the window. I don't know about others, but I've found myself flaring normally a pretty set piece amount of about 2 degrees, looking out the window, not the instruments, and then tweak it a little if necessary. If my gut tells me I'm going to float, I'll ease off the yoke just a bit. If I'm coming in hot, I'll flare it a little less and probably pull back the throttles earlier. I believe that if you try to overthink it, you'll do worse. And again, the best thing you can do, imho, is to focus your eyes on the end of the runway, not the pavement immediately in front of you.

it likely means that you are staring at the vvi, and not looking out the window. I don't know about others, but I've found myself flaring normally a pretty set piece amount of about 2 degrees, looking out the window, not the instruments, and then tweak it a little if necessary.

I agree, hence the following:

(I would assume the first, as it is easier and relies less on the instruments)?

But some people may be very good at near-simultaneously utilizing both the instruments and the outside.

Well, you're obviously going to see the vertical speed out of the corner of your eye, or if you are using the HUD than you get both, but if you rely on the vsi--chasing it and lagging behind it--as it were, you are most likely going to over flare--in the approach you're screaming towards the ground at 700 fpm, and in my case, if I'm relying on the vertical speed, I have the tendency to underestimate the amount that the ground effect is going to cushion me and over flare. Once I stopped worrying about the vertical speed at the moment of touching down, my landings became much much better, and perhaps even good.

or if you are using the HUD

Ah—yes. I do not fly the B737, so I have had no experience with such a device.

Once I stopped worrying about the vertical speed at the moment of touching down, my landings became much much better, and perhaps even good.

I personally never had the problem of trying to "chase" the vertical speed indicator, but I assume what you have described is the case with most people who have tried.