Sign in to follow this  
Ted Striker

Does FSX need to be installed using XP compabtility mode?

I am installing FSX on a new 3770k with Windows 7 64 bit. Do I need to right click on the setup file and install fsx using XP compatibility mode or does it install fine in win7 mode?

I appreciate any recomendatons on this,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

No install as normal but not to c: program files (the default folder).

Create your own folder in c: and istall it there.

I have c: fsx.

Cheers,

+1, but even better on a separate drive if you have one, Ted.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Guys. I installed both FSX, Accelaration, and all SDKs using the normal default method to separate FSX and FSX SDK folders on a dedicated F: drive. All seems to be working well so far. Even with my old 285gtx the improvement from my old Q6600 overclocked to 3.5 ghz to the new 3770k with the default optimized bios settings is spectacular.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Ted - here's a nice little app the will save you a lot of grief, too. "Take Ownership" adds itself to the Rt-Click menu when you Rt-Click on a file or folder.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Ted - here's a nice little app the will save you a lot of grief, too. "Take Ownership" adds itself to the Rt-Click menu when you Rt-Click on a file or folder.

Thanks Paul, I added it to my tool chest. I ran WIN 7 with UAC turned off on my last computer and never had any file ownership issues. However I didn't have many add-ons as the Q6600 struggled with them.

There's really a lot of fuss about nothing with respect to program files security, since some addons treat it as a read/write folder, the only thing you need do to a default install of FSX is to give the Users group modify and write permissions to the program files application folder. From there on in you have no problems with addons. Use of a dedicated disk is OK but doesn't solve performance issues, unless you put FSX on a faster disk/controller. Don't bother partitioning drives to make a dedicated drive.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

There's really a lot of fuss about nothing with respect to program files security, since some addons treat it as a read/write folder, the only thing you need do to a default install of FSX is to give the Users group modify and write permissions to the program files application folder. From there on in you have no problems with addons. Use of a dedicated disk is OK but doesn't solve performance issues, unless you put FSX on a faster disk/controller. Don't bother partitioning drives to make a dedicated drive.

I think I'm with you here Steve. On my last build I had FSX outside of the programs folder on the same 7200 rpm Seagate hard drive as the Window 7 64 bit OS and had no problems. On this new build I have the same OS on a 120gb SSD and FSX on a dedicated 240 gb SSD. So far no problems with this build either although its been a slow process getting up to speed on the new hardware and new installation rules pertaining to the newer hardware and software.

I've got a 4Tb RAID10, striped redundant pair (4x2Tb). I just use it as one big drive C:\, FSX in Progfiles (x86), Users set to modify and write, it loads FSX like Word...

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com