Sign in to follow this  
Air France

Hows My System Running?

Not very well I'm afraid. 4.7Ghz is really not enough to push FSX where it needs to go. You only will have reached the Promised Land when you get to at least 4.8Ghz as this is the spot at which you overcome in the inherent timing issues that manifest themselves w/ clockspeeds under 4.8Ghz. Let's say you are in the NGX and sitting on the taxiway at KJFK in heavy weather. You're going to sitting there feeling terrible when you see the frame counter is at 23FPS. Now, jack that thing up to 4.8Ghz, and all of a sudden frames jump to 40FPS! This is where true simulation Nirvana begins! Don't rest until you see some instability, brownouts in your neighborhood, and no longer need to put the heat on in your house in mid-winter! Just%20Kidding.gif

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So just go in my BIOS and just update the clock speed to 4800? Not that I have never touched the voltage. Only the Frequency. Is that ok?

So I OC my CPUto 4.8 and it gave me GREAT FPS but FSX kept on crashing after 5 mins.....I OCed it back to 4.7......Is there anything I could do to keep FSX stable at 4.8?? My system was fine...

Just out of interest - delete the number after "procspeed" in the [Main] section of the fsx.cfg, then restart the sim, and get that new number - and post it here. Could you do that, please?

[Main]

ProcSpeed=xxxxxxx.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Here you go:

Before: ProcSpeed=17993

After I delete it: ProcSpeed=20033

This is at 4.7GHz as seen below:

Great score! Excellent!

In the 45+ fsx.cfg's that I've been working with, IFly, this is a pretty good number. Depending upon my cfg I usually "score" between 19,500 and 20800, with 4.9 and a 580,so this is a very good number. Usually a low-end pc, 3.2 - 3.7gig and a 460, will score around the 5000 - 6500 mark, with mid-range 4.4gig with a 560 will be in the 10-14000. Hot systems 4.7 and up with fast memory, drives and a good gpu, like your 670 will run 19000+.

I believe this number was left in there by the ACES team, as a measure of the system's capability. The '7' indicates a high-end proc., but compared to procs of 2005 - any modern low-end proc will score a 7.

All the Best.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Paul! But would you know why my FSX crashes when I OC to 4.8GHz? Because at 4.8GHz for some reason theres such a huge performance increase from 4.7GHz......

Thanks!

Ahh, well if it's unstable at 4.8 then the other speed/timing Nirvana comes when you overclock just to 4.6Ghz. You'll most likely get better performance from 4.6 than 4.7Ghz, in fact sometimes big increases come from 'sparking' the in-line sequencing modulation by setting your clock speed to an even number (never mind 4700 Ghz is an even number--many don't know but it's the 100's column digit that determines the even/odd augmentation algorithm spacing generating a strong sparking response w/ the new try-gate based processing units. Try 4.6 and see what you think...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

iFly,

I assume you're now pulling my leg, and if so, hats off I deserved it. If not, sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes:

Noel

Great score! Excellent!

In the 45+ fsx.cfg's that I've been working with, IFly, this is a pretty good number. Depending upon my cfg I usually "score" between 19,500 and 20800, with 4.9 and a 580,so this is a very good number. Usually a low-end pc, 3.2 - 3.7gig and a 460, will score around the 5000 - 6500 mark, with mid-range 4.4gig with a 560 will be in the 10-14000. Hot systems 4.7 and up with fast memory, drives and a good gpu, like your 670 will run 19000+.

I believe this number was left in there by the ACES team, as a measure of the system's capability. The '7' indicates a high-end proc., but compared to procs of 2005 - any modern low-end proc will score a 7.

All the Best.

learn something evry day, can you explain how this works the diff in the cfg for score 19500 and 20800.

I run P3D now , have FSX on separate disk i regenerate the score in my FSX cfg with my allday Hardware settings ProcSpeed=23566

i run my CPU 15% faster and have 17.5% higer score, is it the 680 and faster mems and or the diff in the cfg.

Kind regards Hasse

What do you mean am I pulling your leg?? I will try 4.6GHz today and let you know. Thanks for the help!

learn something evry day, can you explain how this works the diff in the cfg for score 19500 and 20800.

I run P3D now , have FSX on separate disk i regenerate the score in my FSX cfg with my allday Hardware settings ProcSpeed=23566

i run my CPU 15% faster and have 17.5% higer score, is it the 680 and faster mems and or the diff in the cfg.

Kind regards Hasse

WOW! You take the Biscuit, Hasse! This is the highest I've seen since early last year . im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

No - I don't see it as referring only to one thing or another - it appears to be impacted by all of the components - i.e. if you had a 580 instead of the 680 - it will be lower; if your drives are 7200's instead of SSD's - it will be lower: if your fsx.cfg is not optimized it will be lower, so I would say "overall system". I look at each fsx.cfg that individual simflyers send to me (for comment or change), and I file the original and the changed version together, at the same time noting that number and the specs of the user's system. It's fairly predictable, but always shows an increase when a positive change is made, and a reduction when something is wrong. The number must be deleted, and FSX will redo it with a new number. It's certainly a better yardstick than the "Windows Performance Information" number.

cfg ProcSpeed=21142

Thanks fixed a problematic FSX

HLJAMES

cfg ProcSpeed=21142

Thanks fixed a problematic FSX

HLJAMES

One more great thing to monitor when tune FSX :good:

Thanks for shareing Paul