Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Strange effects in DX10

Anyone else have the problem of flashing effects and other anomolies in DX10? I have this with lights at airports that flash on and off as well as the aircraft contrails. Also notice on the PMDG J-41 that the ground smoke effect or maybe its blowing snow effect behind the engines seems to follow the plane around in flight but it ends up below the aircraft by about 50 feet? Same with Concorde smoke?

Mark   CYYZ      

Yes, I've noticed a couple of these "anomolies" as well Mark, just not those specific ones you mention. What I'm seeing is the effect in question disappearing and reappearing at a regular frequency. Now you see it...now you don't...now you see it..etc.

I've seen the billowing smoke effect that comes out of the FSX standard "factory" scenery object smoke stack flash on and off as described as I cruise by on approach. Wild guess(or did I read this somewhere on avsim?) but I wonder if the frequency of the flashing is tied in with the aircraft strobe lights. The frequency seems about right. I need to take the time to investigate this, though honestly I wouldn't know where to start as far as finding a solution.

Another is the touchdown smoke effect as the aircraft wheels contact the runway. It often just disappears instead of dissipating as it should. Seems to happen very predictably for me as the nose wheel touches down in any external view(spot, fly-by, etc.).

I can't say if these things occur in DX9 also though as I went straight to DX10 with my new computer build a few months back. Have you observed these issues in DX10 only?

Simon

Actually, I looked at it closely again and at different angles and it was the strobe flashing off off the contrails and clouds. The touchdown and smoke effect is still intermittent, and clearly not related to the strobe. Thanks for your thoughts on these issues.

Mark   CYYZ      

When i switch on my landing lights while crusing they are appaearing/disappearing, no problem with contrails.

But when i switch it off, contrails have the same problem .. 2 of 4 contrails are appearing/disappearing.

Looks like the game need absolutely 1 effect which appears/disappears on the screen :/

This contrail disappearing happens to me in DX9 also, just did it last night to me depending on what camera I was using.

Just as confirmation, Bump: the same effect here.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

it happens on DX9 ? didnt know that

maybe its because steve shader fix ?

Steve's shader has no effect on any DX9 shader file, Talek. There are files for DX9 and another, completely different set of files for DX10. DX9 also has it's issues from time to time!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.