Sign in to follow this  
alpha117

Setting how the failures work

So, I'm the first one here with a new topic.... :lol:

First, many thanks for this and all the hard work that has gone into it.

I have a question, just read through the manual, while having a 'cup of tea'.....Brit thing, I know :P

'Open the PMDG 737 NGX CDU and select your failure (according to the list of failures featured in the "New Non-Normal Procedures List" in the Product

Overview section)'

So you have to select what you want to deal with and there is no 'random' failures.

I thought you would just be able to 'fly' and maybe you would have a failure that you didn't know about and therefore would have to deal with it as it happens.

How I read it is that whilst at the gate you select what you want to fail on that flight eg 'Cabin Altitude Warning or Rapid Depressurization' and that will be the only failure on that flight.

So I will know what is going to fail before it happens :huh: , but not necessary at what point in that flight.

Have I read this correctly?

Clive

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Adding to my above:

Note 3:

* Open the PMDG 737 NGX CDU and select your failure (according to the list of failures featured in the "New Non-Normal Procedures List" in the Product

Overview section)

* FS2 Crew: Emergency NGX! provides you with complete flexibility so that you may choose to select an "Instant", "Random" or "Service Based" failure

(nb: Provided the failure you choose is available in the Emergency NGX! Failure List - see "New Non-Normal Procedures List" in the Product Overview section)

Can I select more than one failure and set them to 'random' therefore not knowing what is going to fail?

What is 'random'....this flight, next flight or within 'x' hours of flight.

OK, I think I need to go a fly to and see what happens

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the question.

If you want 'Random Failures', just open the PMDG FMC Failure sub-menu and:

1. Select "ALL SYSTEMS".

2. Select "RANDOM".

3. I suggest LIMITING EVENTS to 1 since Emergency NGX is not designed to handle multiple failures all at once.

Naturally, just as in 'real-life', if you select 'random' failures you won't know in advance what failure is coming at you.

Assuming it's not a fire, you'll have to wait for the FO to announce the Master Caution (example: "Master Caution - Electrical), and then ask the FO to "Confirm the failure", at which point he'll identify the failure.

You'll then run the rest of the procedure as described in the manual.

If it's a fire, the FO will just say "Fire!', but he won't specify the source (lest you get confused and distracted on take-off and screw up and crash!).

If it's a Fire, after 400 feet, you'd ask him to Confirm or Identify the Failure, which he'll then do, and you'd go from there.

I suspect most people will not use Random failures - but some will.

Most users I suspect will use it like a simulated "Simulator"... as if there were training for Type Rating, where they know in advance what is coming, so they can practice it.

Hope that helps - that was a good question!

Hi Bryan

Thanks for the quick reply.

Great stuff......just starting NGX now.

Just to make sure that I have this right, if you select all systems>random, then there could be a chance that you would get more than one failure at once?

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Sorry about these questions :mellow:

Just waiting for the NGX to load :P

'APU Fault'

Do you have to start in the 'cold and dark' with ground power to get this fault. In other words would this fault be 'APU Fails to start'?

If you enable the "LIMITING EVENTS" option 1, you should only get 1 failure.

The only problem with Random Events is you may get failures that are not modeled by Emergency NGX!

That would be even better :rolleyes: ...wouldn't it

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

The APU fault is associated with the PMDG APU SEVERE failure... basically the whole APU suffers an internal mechanical problem and goes ka-put.

I'd run this failure while the APU is running.... if you look at the QRH for this failure in the PMDG QRH, you'll see that it's geared toward the APU already running.

So you can use any panel state you like, so long as the APU is running you should be good to go.

OK I've setup:

Random Failures: Yes

Events per 10 Hours: 1

Limit Events: Yes

Event limit : 1

Does that look good to go?

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

It's fine, but you're going to be flying for a long time before you ever get a failure... and the failure may not even be one modeled by Emergency NGX.

Perhaps you're mainly just intersted in the new FO Voice sets?

I suspect a lot of our customers are mainly just interested in flying with the new FO's, especially the new female FO's from the US and Asia.

What I suggest is this:

For fun, have fun with all the Emergency NGX failures. Trigger them individually and practice them.

This will keep you occupied for a good few days at least... just getting the hang of them.

The level of crew coordination required in Emergency NGX is something you've never done before, especially with regarding to the Engine Fires/Failures.

So it'll be a very new experience for everyone.

Once you've had fun getting the hang of the individual failures, then maybe use the Random options.

Just note: When you trigger an individual failure. follow the manual closely.

I got this for the failures, the extra voices are a good bonus.

Your're quiet right, this is total new to everyone and the manual(PMDG) is now a must read on the 'failure' part.

Yep, I will practice first as you have said, then move on to the random........ resetting FMC now :P

Many Thanks

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Just had my first failure on taxi: EEC Alternate Mode....right first IA

1. Stop Aircraft

2. Looks at CP and wonder what happens now.

3. Shuffle through paperwork......starting to get slightly stressed.. :P

4. Looking more bemused, and wonders how this happened, can't remember setting this up :huh:

..what the frequency for maintenance??

Very good, makes you think more and to get more organised, well I do need to by the looks of it!

Right sitting here waiting for tow truck .

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Good point. I'm still slightly confused as to when these 'failures' kick in .

Lets use the one I've just had (EEC ALTERNATE MODE)

PMDG Failure: ENG>ECC 1/2

How do I set this to happen at a random point during the flight.

Ok it happened during taxi this time, but say I want it to happen at another point in time?

Sorry, if these are 'daft' questions, but once I get the 'light bulb' moment I will be fine.

Again looking down the list to the next failure

ENGINE FAILURE or SHUTDOWN

PMDG: Engine> ENG 1/2 or V1 orVR cut, severe damage

This will only happen at V1 or Vr........so that's the 'trigger for this one. Even I have got that one!

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Well, random is random... you can't control when random happens.

And the PMDG NGX does not allow you to specify a random time for a specific failure.

You can either set the specific failure to occur instantly or have it delayed by XX seconds.

If want non-specific failures, then you can do random.

For the VR cut, you can just set it to 'active'.

Then the next time you reach VR, the engine will be failed.