Sign in to follow this  
L1011_pilot

Windows 8 vs Windows 7 FSX Performance

Hello,

I know that this may have been asked multiple times, however I am curious. Currently, I am running Windows 7 64-bit and I am currently getting decent performance out of FSX with medium high settings. I have been reading about the benefits of Windows 8 in terms of being a better system resource handler than Windows 7 currently does, so as a result I am very interesting into upgrading to the next version of Windows as soon as I upgrade my computer's RAM memory capacity. As a result of this prospect, I would like to answer the following questions.

1. Does FSX in Windows 8 behaves in the same way as in Windows 7?

2. Are there any installation problems that I should be aware of?

3. When running FSX on Windows 8 have there been any changes in performance (positive or negative) when compared to Windows 7?

Thanks for your time and answers.

Im guessing here that in terms of FSX you would not see a performance difference regardless of perhaps improved Windows operations and memory handling. The big negative though is that if you do have problems you will be one of the pioneers without the benefit of so many here at AVSSIM that can help with Win 7 issues.

Ron W

I have been running Windows 8 since it was released and I am very happy with it. There is a bit of a learning curve, but I have had no problems and FSX does seem more stable and smoother for me. But be aware that some do have issues with joysticks disappearing and such.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

For certain, in time as more start using Win8 more reliable help and suggestions will come available.

Its just that so much effort has gone into understanding Win7/FSX that not many of us have any interest in dealing with another entire set of unknowns.

I have heard too of driver and usb issues. That said maybe we'll all be heading into it in a couple years as Win7 support will be discontinued by that time - at least thats what Microsoft is threatening. So far they havent convinced commercial business users though.

Ron W

This topic was second in the list when you posted,

It indicates some of the adjustments required and how to

make them.

http://forum.avsim.n...pgrade-to-win8/

It is of some value, as the OP had experienced most of the problems that have come

up, applied the suggested fixes and ended up with a successful installation.

Might I suggest that comments from those who also do not have Wndows 8

are not likely to help much?

I have been running Windows 8 since it was released and I am very happy with it. There is a bit of a learning curve, but I have had no problems and FSX does seem more stable and smoother for me. But be aware that some do have issues with joysticks disappearing and such.

This topic was second in the list when you posted,

It indicates some of the adjustments required and how to

make them.

http://forum.avsim.n...pgrade-to-win8/

It is of some value, as the OP had experienced most of the problems that have come

up, applied the suggested fixes and ended up with a successful installation.

Might I suggest that comments from those who also do not have Wndows 8

are not likely to help much?

I see that both mention an issue of disappearing Joysticks. I use a rather simple Saitek ST90 from the year 2004, I have not had any problems with it in XP or my current Windows 7 installation. Do you guys think, the joystick disappearing problem is due to Windows 8 USB drivers or is it joystick specific?

I would rather not speculate but i can report that whenever the old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro disappears from FSX, it is always

still present in the control panel and calibration windows.

It's not joystick specific, or even flightsim specific! It occurs in X-plane, Prepar3D and FSX

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020