Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want to install a 3 terrabite hard drive but my motherboard has 3 ports and are all taken by 2 ssd's and a Dvd drive

how can I get around this? An option I suppose is to get an external hard drive. Any thoughts anyone?

Do you have any PCI or PCIe slots open? You can buy a SATA controller card if you do.

whats a PCI slot? :rolleyes:

MB is a

MAXIMUS V GENE

That board has more than 3-4 SATA slots. Read the MB manual and look at the diagram. You will see where they all are.

A HD connected externally will only perform properly if SATA connected and certainly not USB unless your just using it to store data and not to run programs. If external it will need a power source which usually comes with external drive systems.

Either way its much better mounted internaly and use the SATA connections and power connectors available internally.

very good so I just need a Sata card right, any particular brand?

You already have 6 SATA ports on your motherboard. Your currently only using 3 of them. Use one of the available ports you have already.

Do you have the ASUS MB manual? Look at the picture - it will be labelled.

very good so I just need a Sata card right' date=' any particular brand?[/quote']

No, as said above, your motherboard has 6 SATA ports. You shouldn't need anything else to connect another SATA drive.

Drive connectivity on the ROG Asus Maxumus V Gene comes in the form of six SATA ports: four SATA 6Gb/s and two SATA 3Gb/s. Starting at the bottom of the PCB, the first two are the ASMedia-controlled SATA 6Gb/s ports, followed by the Z77-controlled SATA 6Gb/s ports in red and the SATA 3Gb/s ports in black. This configuration supports Raid 0, 1, 5, 10 and Intel Smart Response Technology, Intel Rapid Start Technology, and Intel Smart Connect Technology.

Thanks a heap guys appreciate the time and effort, I will purchase my drive now ;-)